file Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 9 months ago #13163 by Cougaris
First off, I am quite impressed! Well done!

I do have some bugs and queries for you though:
- Loader.exe crash on exiting the game. This does not affect the game's subsequent startup and may be related to my machine alone.
- I approached a light blue ship in my contact list and used CTRL-C to try and hire it. It asked for 6000, which was fine so I hired it. However, the ship does not follow me and any commands issued via the 1-9 list don't work, returning a NoShipsInGroup error. The ship itself has turned dark blue however.
- I ordered some Uranium cargo from an Exotic Mining Station in the Inner Kupier Belt in Alucin. The pods materialized 5k out. Are they not meant to be spewed out?
- When I went to visit Emerald (sightseeing :) ) I looked up the stations available in the are via the UNIgui navigation menu. There existed an Emerald-Station (abandoned contact). So I went there. Big mistake, as that turned out to be inside the planet :) I guess that is the planet object anchor, but it does show in the list.

Some general observations:
- There is barely any ships. I have yet to see ships coming and going or any local station traffic. Makes piracy a bit difficult.
- When I was docked to a station, I looked at what I could purchase there. I noted that they had goods listed but had "denied" added on. This caused a small bit of clipping.
- The encyclopedia makes references organisations that aren't there (like Maas). This is probably a polish item though :)

I'll post more bugs/observations as I encounter them!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13164 by GrandpaTrout
Ships start in group "0". The wingman commands are tricky, and not as intuitive as a graphical menu or something, so I recommend an extra read of the new_install.rtf document and following those instructions. They really help. And I turned off most traffic for this first test release, while we work on wingmen and GUI screens etc.

Good observations overall. Lots of issues we need to clean up.

So far, it looks like everyone has the crash on exit. and everyone assumed it was just them! What a tough bunch we are! Ok, the only thing we have yet corrolated is that the crash does not seem to happen if you are not looking at anything but background when you exit the game. Look away from planets, stations, suns. Try to look "up" out of the planetary ring plane. And then quit. It would be good to know if that helps anyone else.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13165 by cambragol
Cougaris, here are some answers to your queries:

First, we are working on that crash, and have it partially isolated. GrandpaTrout is currently trying to completely isolate it so that we can find a way to solve it our work around it.

Try 0. That is the channel that new wingmen start in.

Goods are supposed to be materializing 5k out. We will add in the spewing action in Traffic I believe.

Good find on the planet object. It is actually a station, but was supposed to be hidden. It is hidden on the map, but not in the navigation menu it seems.

Goods are supposed to be denied. That is unless you have high enough standing with the selling Faction to buy them. Improving your standing with factions will be absolutely necessary to become a rich trader. As for denied getting clipped...That seems to be a limitation of the width of the trade screen.

The encyclopedia is not complete yet. It is a polish item. I actually just finished all the faction descriptions today, so you will see at least those in the next Beta (though via the reputation screen, not the encyclopedia)

More
18 years 9 months ago #13166 by WetWired
Okay, I deactivated all mods, crash; deleted mods dir, crash. Reinstalled EoC and patch, no crash. Installed Epic, crash.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13167 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Wetwired,

It sounds like the error is hiding in flux. The epic install makes a backup copy of your original flux file when it installs. We can test to see if the issue is flux.ini related by renaming your the epic flux.ini file and then using the backup to make a new one.

You can tell that it is an old copy because the search_cd = 1 and in epic flux.ini search_cd = 0.

if you set developer_mode = 1 it will display what it is trying to do when while loading. That can be very helpful in finding the reason for the crash. (it would be nice to know if it is the cluster, or if it is the final setup in space).

More
18 years 9 months ago #13168 by Grebster
Checking in, I can confirm that, for me at least, the crash on exit bug happens when objects are seen onscreen. Disabling/enabling sound and/or the traffic scripts did not affect this.

Secret station? Is it veiwable in the beta? :D

Greb