Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #13194 by personaobscura
Apparently I am unable to reproduce this glitch now, unless, as you say I "escape " to config menu.
The way I thought it worked for me before is I ran dxdiag, on the sound tab(s), I set the acceleration from full to basic, then ran Epic. The game comes up fine, I can autodock to any station, usually the shipyard, then I hit the UNiGUI, it comes up, then I undock, go to another station nearby, autodock then get a message in the HUD (bottom left of the screen) telling me that there are no UNiGUI screens available. If I try to go back to the shipyard or anywhere else, ditto. I'll keep trying and let you know.

By the way, I noticed that the backround chatter is much clearer on basic settings than full, and on both settings I get this rhythmic hammering noise.

As for the lifepod options, I don't know about automatically returning to a friendly system; seems too easy. How about:

1) option 2, but at an exorbitant cost or some sort of devil's bargain if you are in hostile territory? Would prison/slavery be viable? Selling out someone else, sort of like a narc? Also, should the pod be free of attack by hostiles like it is now?

2) option 3, but there is no guarantee that the pod will survive any given jump through an L-point, or that the pod has a finite life of x amount of kms or jumps before lifesupport fails.

3) the player can dock to an enemy ship, get hauled to a station unnoticed, erase his reputation and buy another ship?

Also, should the pod be free of attack by hostiles?

I have no idea how viable these ideas are from a programming viewpoint, just ruminating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13195 by Grebster
I like the idea of docking to an enemy ship and getting hauled back to a station, but it seems hard to impliment.

How about a distress call? Either a ships comes to the rescue, or more enemies are attractedby the call.

Greb

More
18 years 10 months ago #13196 by cambragol
Wow, that cubic space image is weird. I really have no idea what is causing that. My first guess would be driver issues. It looks like one of several things are happening. The texture files may be getting rotated 90 or 180 degrees. Or the textures are being displayed at the wrong size, which makes for imperfect overlaps at the edges of the skybox, and thus the cubic effect. I have on idea what would cause this other than faulty drivers.

Maybe look in your flux.log, at the beginning, and see if you have any entries like this. Maybe post them here.

DX7GRAPH: [unknown] Driver is WHQL certified (level 1)
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] Enabling workarounds for bad hardware/drivers...
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] Enumerating texture formats...
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] Choosing formats for lookup tables...
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] Building render state translation tables...
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] D3D Driver does not support Flux correctly and may exhibit a loss of visual quality

More
18 years 10 months ago #13197 by cambragol
Hi personaobscura,

Welcome to the Beta-testing. Just to answer a few of your queries:

You shouldn't be able to buy anything, at most stations. This is because your reputation is too low with most factions. However, docking to Common and Rare and Exotic metal mines should give you a selection of pods to purchase. These are the 'bottom of the barrel' pods, and they will sell them to anybody out there. Look for both stations in the asteroid belts of the Alcuin sytem.

Purchasing a ship can only be done at stations that produce ships...like ship yards. At least I think that is the case.

Getting overwhelmed in Epitaph is as it should be. That system is crawling with the defence machines leftover from the last war. It is generally impassable to all but the Gargoyles, a faction which will also likely attack you if encounter them.

You should be getting a rhythmic hammering noise near all stations. That is the 'sound' of the LDS inhibit fields effect on the electromagnetic field. Your ships sensor's are interpreting that. It sounds like your sound drivers may have some issues though, so I am not sure if that sound is coming across correctly.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13198 by Joco

Originally posted by WetWired

Two installer issues: it doesn't check for the correct EoC version,

Correct, as designed - I did not consider such a thing necessary as I presumed anyone would have patched up per Particle Systems instructions.

and it doesn't check for a prior installation.

Correct, as designed - I did not code for full disk scans to find multiple installs of EoC. Is this a necessary feature? What benefit would it bring?

Thanks,
Joco.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13199 by Joco

Originally posted by WetWired

GT, no, the Epic installer installed at least enough of the mod to the dir that I specified to make it appear to be working in that alternate dir, but somehow in the process messed up my copy located where the registry said it should be.

Can you please see if you can determine what changes (if any) were made to your master "safe" install. The installer package should only be touching the dir that it defaults to or that you specify.

Also, did you check that BOTH your master install and your copy of said install worked before installing Epic into the copy?

Thanks,
Joco.