Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #18462 by GrandpaTrout
This thread is for posting reports on how the install of 7.4 went. Please post bugs founds, or install issues with your machine. It is helpful to keep a searchable record of what was learned.

Please also feel free to post suggested improvements. Ideas on making the interfaces clearer and easier to use/understand.

Looking forward to your comments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13151 by Qlippoth
First of all, WOW, it's looks and sounds really well polished... Installer seemed to work like a charm.

1. I got a crash bug when I landed at a station (looking for it in a minute) with my life pod. I attempted to purchase a new ship (I, uh, had a little exploration mishap in LDS...) and found none available at that station (obviously correct, just checking). I then attempted to enter the station and "BLEWY!" (QA technical jargon), loader.exe crashed...

EDIT: I belive it was the El(something)Com? HQ?

EDIT 2: Yup, the Etcom HQ Station. Entering the station causes crash.
edit 3: I should say, "just" entering the station causes a crash.

Note that this was not my first station I attempted to enter, but the second, the first seemingly worked fine (tried all the options in the base). I had my original tug from a brand new game, I bought the fast tug, entered the base, then left to explore. I then, eh... crashed into a pretty planet I was ogling while in LDS and used my lifepod to LDS and explore more of the system. Viewed the new planets and moons, found a station, then as per second paragraph above.

2. Oh, and all of the planet movies look great in the main menu, but they should all have a standard (and somewhat larger) blank area above the main text body to allow slower readers to read the first part of the description.

3. Entering the base, going to hangar and selecting Comsec gives you the comsec. :p

4. If your are in a mode (like camera F4) which is not a cockpit view the menu will not automatically come up when you dock.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13152 by GrandpaTrout
Turning on the Traffic. The 7.4 release was built with traffic turned off. This is to aid debugging during the first few days of testing. (Traffic floods the debug logs). And it lets testers lead around wingmen without getting them shot to pieces by random traffic, so we can see if they are getting lost.

But real testing will need traffic, and sometimes debugging will want traffic off. So here is how to turn it on and off. There is a file called scripts.ini located in MS_Mod_Main in the mods directory. This file has two entries near the very bottom. These are calls to iStartSystem and they are commented out with a semicolon. You need to uncomment these lines to turn on the traffic scripts. You can turn them back off by commenting out the lines.

Here is the file with the lines commented out, so you know what you are trying to find.
Code:
[System] ;enter[]=iStartSystem.StartupSystem ;exit[]=iStartSystem.ShutdownSystem

More
18 years 10 months ago #13153 by GrandpaTrout
Ok. I get the crash at EtCom HQ also. It happens at any HQ station. I tried ship yards or other stations in the same orbit and they work fine. Faction does not seem to matter. Nothing different happens in code when using a HQ station over a shipyard.

I will try all the station models and see what happens.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13154 by GrandpaTrout
It won't duplicate in my station test cluster. Hmmm. More testing!

More
18 years 10 months ago #13156 by WetWired
Two installer issues: it doesn't check for the correct EoC version, and it doesn't check for a prior installation.

Okay, so, I uninstalled EoC, deleted the dir, reinstalled from scratch, patched to 14.6, then ran the Epic installer. When I "Start Game", the loading bar doesn't get past the L before the game crashes.