Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #13182 by cambragol
Hi Wetwired.

I experienced a problem similar to yours. I had a crashing bug from a FRESH install of EoC, without any mods installed whatsoever. Erasing all the files in the directory, then reinstalling a fresh install (in the same, though now empty directory) continued to produce a crash (at the loading planets portion of the load screen as well). It was only when I erased the entire directory, and installed EoC in new directory, with a new name, that I was finally able to get a working install. I wonder whether EoC does not have some issues with XP, because I never had these problems with 98 or 2000.

And Grebster,

You are certain that you are not getting these same glitches with the vanilla version of EoC? How about if you turn the far_clip value in the Flux.ini down to 200000? And what of your Video Card and driver versions? I had some issues myself with my Nvidia drivers. Some of the newer drivers produce very VERY weird graphical glitches for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13183 by Grebster
I've just ran a 6 pod trade route from the starting system, Bedalov to Li Po. The trade system seems to be working properly, I made a nice markup from 1000 per pod and sold them for 1500 per pod. However, I've experienced the following problems:

It is essential you tell wingmen to halt, or approach and object before telling them to load cargo. If you are still in formate with you, they dodge the pods.

Traffic is piling up at La-grange points, though I guess this is to be expected seeing as traffic is not supposed to be implimented in this beta.

The Xu Xan system nebula is far too bright, especialy for me, I have poor eyesight, so the brightness is turned up a few notches. Its almost impossible to see the lagrange point!

Picky pirates! Apparently my cargo of gold was not worth stealing, according to some pirates that stopped me in Bumpys star!

The grapical bug still persists, I've tried changing the graphics options, but to no avail. It does not seem to be affected by the new planets.

Another graphical bug cropped up, mid-way through my journey, I have no place to host the image, so I will email it to GrandpaT and hopefully he will post it up. The best i can explain it is that the background becomes cubed.

I also experience a crash when I try to enter a station and save the game, this does not occur every time, though I have a feeling this might be due to the computer needing a restart and playing without lots of other programs running.

Hope this is of help,
Greb

More
18 years 10 months ago #13184 by Grebster
Changing the Far_clip value does indeed fix that graphical bug. :D

Does this affect the game at all?

Greb

More
18 years 10 months ago #13185 by Grebster
Sorry to tripple post, but I can't seem to find the bloody edit button. [V]

In response to you question, cambragol, I'm fairly certain this didn't occur in the vanilla install, because I played the vanilla version just a few days ago, to brush up of my skills for the beta. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the bug.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13186 by WetWired
GT, I didn't do anything. Read my post again. After my last crash report, I uninstalled EoC, then reinstalled and made a copy of the install so that I could do both EoC and Epic at the same time. When I went to install epic on the copy to try your suggestions, and the condition I described where the Epic install f***ed up the install in the directory I did not tell it it could touch anything (but it is the one indicated in the registry), and the copy I actually told it to install to worked fine.

Cambragol, when I reinstall EoC to the same directory where I had problems, it works just fine; only when I install Epic again does it have problems.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13187 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Greb,

Here is your image. I see what you mean by cubic space.

After changing your far_clip value to 2e5, have you had any crashes when entering the stations?

What it does is remove from view all sim objects farther than that distance. Which means that our new planets (which are really stations) are going to be removed by the engine and you will never be able to see them. And we liked those planets! But removing them will make the release much more stable, so they must be removed. I just want to make sure no other crashing bugs are hiding out.