Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #13215 by GrandpaTrout
After some late night testing, I think I finally understand what is happening to the wingmen. When the wingmen is following the player, and jumps with the player, everything works fine (a rare happening). However, if the wingman fails to jump with the player, it calculates a new route to reach the player. And this new route seems to pick Lpoints at random (for reasons unknown) which leaves the wingmen scattered. My last two attempts to fix this assumed that the wingmen that jumped, would end up in the correct place. That is not so. What is worse, even if I move those wingmen to the player location, they will still have path finding orders to those distant Lpoint. They will actually fly away from the player, in thier misguided effort to catch up.

Thanks to Persona for working on this until I could finally figure it out! The detailed stories were the key to recognizing the wingman behavior. And thanks to Joco who recomended clearing the wingman order buffer to wipe out that mistaken path.

A final solution is becoming clear. The wingmen must not be capsule jumped, or you can get CTD or wierd duplicate wingmen. (The wingmen must be moved without all the jump animations.) The order buffer must be cleared, or the wingmen will fly to the wrong lpoints. And each wingmen must be watched, to see if they jumped to the wrong location (and then moved to the player).

There are wingman issues, such as getting a better formation for the wingmen so they don't keep crashing into each other. And making the cargo loading work better. I would like to wrap up all of these before the next release.

[Edit] Ship purchasing. Yes, we can check to see if a station can sell ships. This might be a nice feature to add to Location finder as well, so you select a station and see what is possible there. Not sure how that would work yet...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13221 by cambragol
I have done a clean install, then patched the game to F14.6, then installed Epic 7.4, and I after starting a new game I get a crash to desktop. It happened while loading planet properties. I am going to try installing again.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13228 by GrandpaTrout
Ok, I think we have found the install bug at last! Working with Cambragol we isolated the issue to the special bump maps that PS included by accident in the final patch. They are located in install/resource/images/planets. You need to delete all files in this directory and that should take care of the crash.

Other work is progressing. Update soon.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13229 by Qlippoth
Can you ensure that the offending files are deleted by the installer?

Could you also share or email out an itemized list of the current issues (to test against in the next release).

Got an interview for Sony on Monday, wish me luck/pray, whatever.

- Qlippoth

More
18 years 9 months ago #13230 by GrandpaTrout
Yes. I am going to ask Joco to have the files deleted. This should let people like Wetwired get the game running. What is really wierd, is that these files are part of the PS patch. And yet the game works just fine without Epic. So why installing epic causes an existing file to cause a crash, we have no idea.

I will send out an fixed and added feature list.

We had to remove the super high texture planets because of the clipping plan bug. However, the planets that remain still look quite good.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13231 by cambragol
Spotted a bug with 'guards' at lpoints. After telling me I have nothing worth stealing, I attacked them. They were unable to return fire or defend themselves. They just let me run around slaying them without mercy. There after however, other ships of that faction (outlaw) attacked me on sight, to great effect.