Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #13188 by GrandpaTrout

Originally posted by WetWired

GT, I didn't do anything. Read my post again.

Ok. I did not understand. I will ask James to look into the installer behavior when it is pointed to a directory that does not match the registry.

So, if I understand your post correctly, you installed EoC to e: default directory. Then you installed epic (and by error of the installer) put all those files into e:default directory.

At that point, you could run epic? No other changes were needed to get Epic to run without the loading crash? Hmmmm. That is very odd.

I just tried a few things on my system. I tried installing EoC and Epic to a non C: drive, and that worked fine. I tried double installing, which also worked fine for me. (I have double installed on many, many occasions, so it is odd it is choking your system. Such are the mysteries of XP).

After manually editing the far_clip value to 2e5 are you able to enter stations? (I am working to confirm that we have a fix for this bug before I have a new installer created)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13189 by Grebster
Is 2e5 the same value as 200000? [|)]
If thats the case, it appears to work, though I have not yet tested this extensively.

Greb

More
18 years 10 months ago #13190 by personaobscura
Hey Grandpa!

Here's what I've found so far-

Loaded mod, pretty straightforward, went well, no problems to load with your basic EOC install and Jackson's yard patch, no mods.
On start of the game, I can dock with all stations on the opening screen, get UNiGUI for all stations, but I can't buy/sell anything , other than sell/buy ship at shipyard.
Cannot go to any outsystems, UNLESS I sell my original ship, and buy the fast tug, in spite of the fact that my original loadout shows that I have a capsule drive.
Now I can jump to other outsystems via autopilot no problem. There is a sizzling or hissing sound upon entering and leaving hyperdrive, which lasts until the ship turns around.
Went from Azran to Al Paz via Noel, Kirby, Beryl, Handin (encountered two fighters, one of which I destroyed using Rapid Fire PBC which seems somewhat(?) slower to recharge than in the original game?) and finally to Knell l-point where the fighters simply overwhelmed me and I lost the ship, went to emergency pod, as expected.
However, I was not able to purchase a new ship in any of the stations within this system. I don't know if that's the way it was intended or not. I was able to dock the pod to the fighters however, but that was uneventful. I got the UNiGUI on all the stations, just no ships to purchase.
Another note. While experimenting, I found that if I lowered the sound card acceleration to basic and played the game, I got the UNiGUI only the first time I docked to the shipbuilding station. Once I hit LDS drive, I could not get anymore UNiGUI screens anywhere.
The results were pretty much the same whether I used a joystick or just the keyboard controls.
Also, I will CTD on the UNiGUI's if I try to enter the Hack the cargo IFF box.
I don't CTD if I exit the game while viewing a planet, unless I'm not interpreting other people's posts correctly.
Running at default resolution 1024 x whatever, no vertical sync, movie volume lowered just below voices.
Back later.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13191 by personaobscura
Just another note- I have not experienced any of the "cubic space" issues noted above.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13192 by WetWired
GT, no, the Epic installer installed at least enough of the mod to the dir that I specified to make it appear to be working in that alternate dir, but somehow in the process messed up my copy located where the registry said it should be.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13193 by GrandpaTrout
Hey Welcome to the Party!

Thanks for the info on the hack cargo, that is a new crash.

Tell me more about this sound issue. Can you give me the exact steps to reduplicate it? (I am assuming this order: Game is not running. Open system config menu. Change sound settings. Close system config. Start game. dock to station. Travel to another station. Find the UniGUI will not run. Find that UniGUI will not open at all.)
At any time did you "escape" to get to the config menu and adjust the volume? This is a known bug that will disable EoC.

It sounds like you were killed in Epitaph (Knell Lpoint) which is aptly named. When not in test mode, I recommend going around it.

You bring up an interesting issue. It would be good to get some feedback from everyone, because I know I have mixed feelings on the issue.

The player life pod was created to give the player a chance to live to regret his choices. How far should we take the life pod? Should the player always be able to return to a friendly station? (This is the EvE solution.) Meaning we give the pod a capsule jump drive.

Or should the game be up if the player cannot find a way to rescue himself? Current rescue options:
1. Shipyards are the most common ship purchase locations.
2. The player can hire a ship, and use it to haul his lifepod to a different system.
3. The player can hitch a ride with any existing wingmen.

There will be systems with no stations. Or only hostile stations. These systems are certain death should you lose your ship and your wingmen. But maybe that is a good thing... Thoughts?