Middle States 7.4 Release Bugs/Discussion

More
18 years 10 months ago #13206 by personaobscura
Sorry about missing that info, even though I did read the Install notes (really!).
The crash at jumps never seems to happen unless I'm jumping with wingmen in tow, and it's fairly often. I don't think it takes even five jumps before it crashes. Screen always seizes up just after you exit L-point, then CTD. Also, for what it's worth, I've had wingmen waiting for me on the other side when I exit, even though he entered the same time and behind me. (It doesn't crashed then). I haven't tried it with the far_clip change yet.

My 2 cents:
The color coded map sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't it have to change with your reputation and alliances? The library file is much more likely to be read if you can access it during the game as opposed to shutting it down to get info. I don't know that it would affect the game illusion all that much either if it was presented right. After all, Clay was the source for EOC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13207 by GrandpaTrout
No problem about missing the info. The goal of testing is to find out what is buggy, poorly designed, or misleading. If the info is getting missed, then it is failing it's purpose and it needs to be reformed. There are only two new keybinds in Epic, which is not really enough to do a whole keyboard chart like the one PS did.

Crash on Jump: This really has me worried. Jesse reported something similar. Has anyone seen this happen after changing your far_clip to a value of 200000 (which can also be written as 2e5 in scientific notation)? If this is happening, we are going to need to rethink wingmen (ouch, ouch, ouch).

More
18 years 10 months ago #13208 by personaobscura
Changed the far_clip as per your instructions and looks like so far so good - no crashes on entering stations or during/after jumps with wingmen. Still have to herd them though, but strange thing is usually only one, and it's always the same one. I'll work on it more.
Get some weird effects on LDSi when trying to herd lost wingmen now; lots of crazy lines and weird directions (backwards?) crop up, I think when the lost guy suddenly "comes to" and tries to catch up. I'll check that out more later.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13209 by personaobscura
Latest try after resetting far_clip:

Took four wingmen from mining station at Mckeown to Exotic processing station at Emerald and back to shipbuilding station at Brandt, or at least that was my intent.Gave each one a different group (0 to 3) and 3 defended 2, 2 defended 1, 1 defended 0, and 0 was assigned to defend me. Got 24 pods, loaded, moved on to Emerald.Had to pause at Noel L-point for everyone to catch up, emerged from jump at Calbault L-point with only the wingman who was assigned to defend me. When I went back for the rest, the others lined up on their own without any commands from me, then went through. I formated with them and we emerged at Kirby L-point this time, everyone else was waiting for us back at Calbault, where we first emerged. Got to station. Sold pods, saved game,
On the return, I paused at Crystal L-point till everyone came to a halt, went to jump -CTD. Reloaded my recent saved game, repeated this six times-all CTD at the same place. So, I thought I'd try something different. Headed out to Liu waystation instead(I forget what cluster that's in). Got to Crystal L-point, jumped no problem, and emerged at Ko-Shiu L-point.Proceeded to Lai L-point, paused for everyone to catch up, jumped and emerged (I did not note where) with only the wingman assigned to defend me. Then the wingman assigned to him emerged, but I had to go back for the others. I parked the first two at the L-point we just emerged from, and jumped. Found the other wingmen, went to return, we jumped and emerged, but at a different L-point then before, because the first two wingman I had parked were found at Qian L-point, some distance off, not where we just came through.

Questions:
-has anyone else emerged from a jump at a particular L-point to a particular destination and arrived at two (or more) different L-points? In other words, do you always come out in the same place?
-does anyone else CTD consistently in the same jump, only to succeed when you change destinations? (note-I have reset far_clip as per Granpa Trout to 2e5)
-does anyone notice that the number of wingmen, or who they are assigned to affect the CTD at a jump?

More
18 years 10 months ago #13211 by GrandpaTrout
I also have seen wingmen sent to multiple jump points. Another odd thing, because of the movie mode attached to jump, you can actually watch the wingmen following your ship jump out before you jump. (And I am guessing this is how they arrive before you do).

I must wonder if that movie mode was not added at the last moment. It is the cause of overshooting the jump point and crashing into arriving traffic. And I also wonder if the wingmen jumping ahead of the player is not the reason they end up scattered (because they don't know which lpoint the player will arrive at).

I have still not seen a CDT when my wingmen jump. But from others reports, it sounds like the CTD happens when the wingmen are following the player.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13214 by cambragol
Hi Personobscura,

Your observation about buying ships at stations is very good. Of course, if the button to buy ships is at a station, a normal person would assume you could therefore buy a ship. I guess that is something that Grandpa or Joco could adjust. A unigui button for Shippurchasing that is only available at stations that actually sell ships.

Grandpa, I have not seen a CTD from jumping since lowering my far_clip. I will keep trying.