Epic: Middle States bug reports

More
18 years 5 months ago #13784 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Kisu1492, This should not happen. Something must be changed from the standard Epic game. Are you playing the game with other mods active?

Which version are you playing? Start the game, go to the "Extras" menu and select "MS Main". What version and date are listed? It should be version 8.0, Oct 9. Set "MS Main" active again.

Then try this. Exit EoC totally. Then restart the program. Then select "Start New Game". How much money do you begin with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #13798 by Shane
Minor bug: Sometimes when loading up goods just bought from a station I end up with someone else's cargo. This has occured four times now, always at the Alcuin Common Metals Processor.

The last time it gave me 12 pods of common ore and 5 pods of assorted goods (SAC Fluids, SAA Fibers, Mining Drills, etc.).

Not complaining at all... turned a tidy profit from it. ;) But thought you'd like to know.

The 12 pods of common ore didn't really exist. They only appeared in my inventory at the Common Metals Processor station. In addition, when I left the station I found that a freighter (generic name... can't remember it... sorry) was listed on my contact list at 0 meters. A view with the outside camera didn't show the freighter... so it's avatar wasn't being rendered.

Now when I return to the station it reads that I have 0 pods of common ore. But still lists the entry in items I own and can sell.

Hope this helps.

More
18 years 5 months ago #13799 by GOWDragonMaster
The CTD seem to only happen for me when traveling between the common mine and processing plant in the intro. Any where else th problem doesn't show up.

Intel P.4 = 3.0 GHz
Memory = 512 MB
ATI Radeon 9200 = 128 MB

GrandpaTrout what the reg. rate of the goods produced at the stations? Right now, I'm emptying the rare metal mine in the initial system and making a hell alot with the loop I've discovered to the near by system. The two snrv can quickly empty the station and the other stations I trade with quickly. So I'm wondering what will happen if I bought a freighter?

More
18 years 5 months ago #13801 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Shane,
There is a weak point in the hack cargo function. A narrow window of opportunity where you can steal the pods of the standard traffic scripts. (I won't elaborate to avoid leading others into temptation). I expected someone would eventually find it. The pods should be acting like pirated cargo. Standard stations won't touch them, and you should have to fence them.

Maybe we should leave that feature in. Just make note of the theft, and give the player a few minuits to load the pods and run before someone notices the theft....

If they are not behaving like stolen cargo, let me know. Your invisible freighter is very disturbing... It must be searching for it's lost cargo, like a cursed mummy protecting the treasure.

DragonMaster:
The short answer is: Do longer trade routes to earn more from the few pods you get. The longer routes also give the stations more time to regrow inventory.

The long answer: From a game design point of view, the big problem with trade games is that once the player starts to build a little bit of wealth, it snowballs quick and the player becomes super rich.

The very small inventories are one way of keeping the game a challenge at all levels. When you are poor, you can't empty stations. But once you are rich, you can't find enough pods to get super rich.

This design also forces the player to explore farther. Find more stations. Invest in more faction relationships. It keeps the game in that "middle place" where you have enough money to explore, but are not super rich, for as long as possible. [That is the place I find the most fun, but I would be glad to hear other opinions].

More
18 years 5 months ago #13802 by Shane

If they are not behaving like stolen cargo, let me know.

Okay... I'm letting you know. ;) I can sell them at any station which usually accepts that type good.

In addition, when a ship wrecks (usually a megafreighter), I can collect those pods and also sell them anywhere as if they were legit.

I've got a copy of my flux log after a CTD (a really annoying one since I hadn't saved in about an hour or two). However my tracing was set at default levels and thus the log offers precious little information. I don't see anything which would be of use, but will send it along if you want to take a look.

More
18 years 5 months ago #13803 by GrandpaTrout
Oh Darn! Ok, I need to drop some junk into a jump point and watch the wreckage. Special cases everywhere!

Sorry about the CDT. Did it happen in a location where it happened before? Did it happen around a jump, or just approaching a station, like others reported?