check I war-2 revamp unity 3d

More
8 years 10 months ago #19489 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic I war-2 revamp unity 3d
I have also been using Unity. My current project is building a prototype model of an alien ship I designed for my idea of an I-War 3 with Blender.

I am trying to rebuild Edge Of Chaos in the Unity 3d engine pixel for pixel.

So all of the dimensions are exact. I have been wondering how to do this, and I would like some advice. What astounds me about Duncan Day's paper models is how accurate they are. I would consider designing my own models (Storm Petrel!) if I knew how to get the dimensions of each face right.

I am more of an artist then a coder, my cousin and google help me with the c# but for the most part I am doing everything myself.

I am a coder! Javascript. Also, the Unity environment is much different from the environment I am used to. I need to watch more Unity tutorials and get this figured out.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19490 by RichardSkinner
"I would consider designing my own models (Storm Petrel!) if I knew how to get the dimensions of each face right."

you mean paper models or 3d models? The encyclopedia has all the ship sizes in meters.
The funny issue I had with trying to recreate some of these ships was all the references from the game are so low poly that it leaves a lot of room for interpretation when trying to make these things high detailed. So they will never be truly accurate, unless I want them to look like paper models in the game lol.

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 10 months ago #19493 by Chessking
I meant paper models. But I didn't mean just ship dimensions, but the dimensions and angles of each poly in the ship model.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #19497 by RichardSkinner
First of all, IronDuke, I want to correct myself. That first picture of the old corvette was in overdraw.. I was confused/dumb in I hadnt played around in unity in almost a year was confused in what you were asking.

Second, I made a cool script (in my mind) that generates a random combination of pods (type a,b,c or no pod) which will have random contents every time a cargo ship spawns.

The hard part is going to have them know where they are spawining and spawn cargo accordingly. For example a transport spawning at a hospital station will have the chance of hauling anything, but a greater probibility of hauling hospital goods like clone bone tissue and drug leaches...

p.s. raw sewage for the win!

The Priceline Negotiator
Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #19498 by Chessking
What is this overdraw? It looks useful.

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 10 months ago #19499 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I war-2 revamp unity 3d
@RichardSkinner - I thought so, it just looks like overdraw.
p.s. You never can have too much raw sewage. If you stuff it in your PBCs, its smell when fired can send the enemy running in terror. :evil:

@Chessking - I'm not quite sure how overdraw works, but I know what it does. As you can see from the picture, it basically renders everything including what should be obscured, such as the bottoms of the missile mags, but the obscured stuff is rendered in a lighter color co you know it's normally obscured. Combined with wireframe, it's perfect for a multi-function display; You know, in the top left in I-War2's HUD it shows the target ship.
Also, if you've ever played CnC3, units behind buildings, cliffs, or other units are rendered in overdraw so you still know where they are and can still click on them.
And you're right, it is very useful.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)