I war-2 revamp unity 3d

More
8 years 11 months ago #19483 by RichardSkinner
So, this is something I started a while back as a hobby and stalled out. But recently I have developed an itch to work on it again and I think this will be a good place to post progress to keep me engaged so it doesn't die again.

I am trying to rebuild Edge Of Chaos in the Unity 3d engine pixel for pixel. The plan will be to eventually replace the art with custom stuff but keep how the universe works and expand upon it. But for now I just want to recreate EOC but bring it up to speed with modern visuals.

I am more of an artist then a coder, my cousin and google help me with the c# but for the most part I am doing everything myself.

I am at work so I don't have any of my files to post except for a crappy xray render test for the target status UI screen (the one in the upper right corner when playing).

I am currently trying to solve the problem of containing 10 billion kilometers in a single unity scene. I am using a cube for the player and spheres for the planets so it may be a little while before I have any finished art assets to show.

If anyone has any game dev experience that can offer suggestions feel free to post them, as well as art assets, I can plug them in and eventually build a small scene where you can fly that little flitter around Hoffers Wake 2.0 B)

The Priceline Negotiator
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19484 by RichardSkinner
And to elaborate on the idea of modernizing the game, take that corvette model example, when you change your loadout, that ship will visually change more. More custom looking weapon pods (i.e. you will be able to tell the difference between a twinpack and a quadpack), more command section options, when you change the thrusters the engine part will change.

Images to come soon.

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #19485 by RichardSkinner
An early game quality concept of the hanger with some activity.

the meshes are game quality but I am using vray to render, I would like to try to make some high res renders at some point for some cool shots

The idea I had for the game was to have a real time ship fitting system, instead of text based. You would select the ship you wanted to fly and it would undock and fly up to the fitting arm so you could see how the different loadouts would look on your ship

The Priceline Negotiator
Attachments:

More
8 years 11 months ago #19486 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I war-2 revamp unity 3d
Ah, a competitor! :P I'm also using Unity for my space game, and have a couple years of experience with it now. Currently, I'm working on a method of containing, as you said, 10 billion kilometers in a single scene. One way to do it would be to use double or even quad precision floats, instead of singles. However, that would mean a painful lot of coding, including either coding your own physics engine from scratch, or modding the Unity engine itself, both of which prospects make me go :sick:. Another way, which I'm investigating now and is in fact how Particle systems did it, is to keep the player near world co-ordinates 0,0,0, by either sliding everything around him to simulate his movement (costly!), or bump everything backwards when he gets outside x distance from the center. (Also costly, but only when bumping.)

By the way, that picture was done using the overdraw, correct?

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #19487 by RichardSkinner
Well I don't want to say im competeing lol, because I am still quite novice, I am doing it to gain experience with Unity, and I chose EOC because I thought that would be fun and keep my interest.

At first I dabbled with what they used for kerbal space program where everytime you traveled a certain distance it would snap the entire world (and the origin) to the player. long story short it solved some problems while creating others.

my plan B is to have the star system (i.e. all the planets, stars, and triggers for spawning the interactible locations) be attached to the player, always moving away from the player, but at 99.99% the rate of speed, and the player would also be translating at a much slower speed.. if that makes sense. its hard to describe in words. I have an illustration in my sketchbook to help me. A lot of smoke and mirrors.

The picture is not in unity, Its in 3ds max and vray. I have unity footage but its nothing special thus far.

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago #19488 by RichardSkinner
another shot, just fooling around in Max while drinkin a beer.

The earth is 3d, maps taken from NASA's website. I would like to play around with adding SOL to the game. Maybe you would fine super advanced, futuristic tech there since the Badlands gets the dregs of the all the colonies.

The Priceline Negotiator
Attachments: