I war-2 revamp unity 3d

More
8 years 11 months ago #19529 by RichardSkinner
I needed to get the trial of lightwave to open these suckers. I am going to export them all as FBX's, although whenever I export them with the textures, it will crash whatever program I try to open them with so they are just meshes with nothing attached.

Would that be usefull to put in the downloads section? a zip file of all the gameobjects as FBX's?

The Priceline Negotiator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19530 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic I war-2 revamp unity 3d
You're having problems importing .lwos to Blender? i had the same problem. I did some research and found something, but when I got it installed I had two. So I think Blender comes with what you need. Go to File>User Preferences, or hit CTRL ALT U. Go to the add-ons tab, and scroll down to Import-Export: Import LightWave Objects. Check the box on the right, click "Save User Settings" on the bottom, and you should be ready to go.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19532 by RichardSkinner
No I can import them fine into LightWave (I didn't have lightwave OR blender, just autodesk products) But when I export them to open in Max or Maya they crash if I include the materials, so I just export the mesh without anything embedded.

actually when I brought in the Qstorm that came with all the materials on it.
If I import any from the main game from the avatars folder there are no materials at all

I also cant tell if these things have been unwrapped poorly or at all lol, maybe they said screw it since you can hardly see them anyhow

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 11 months ago #19533 by Chessking
Well, Blender is free. I you don't want to rely on a LightWave trial to convert them to FBX, Blender can do it. However, it seems the big problem seems to be keeping the textures. I have not figured this out either, so I can't help there. When it comes to the oddly wrapped textures, the only thing I can think of is that they get displaced when being converted from ftc/ftu (I can't remember which) to .RAW. If you are converting the files, that would be something to look into.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19534 by Chessking
This is in Blender, so it may not relate to you. Supported file types for textures in Blender are:

The Image Panel in the Texture Buttons (F6). Load a single image file in one of Blender's supported file formats: BMP, JPG, PNG, TGA, TIFF, OpenEXR, Cineon, DPX and Radiance HDR. Others, like PSD and GIF - are partially supported via QuickTime on Windows and Mac versions.

( From Here )
Therefore, if the ftc/ftu or .RAW could be converted to JPEG it might work, according to this method:

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 11 months ago #19537 by Chessking
I think the reason the Q-storm textures work for you, but not the regular ones, is that the textures were converted to .iff. It is probably necessary to use PaintShopPro to convert into .iff from .RAW.

Storm Petrel