My feelings on the Star Wars mod.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9548 by EricMan64

IIRC someone (Ericman?) once said you can scale collision hulls up in the .lws too

Nope. I do not believe the scene files even reference the collision hull at all (its assigned in the template file). So the only way to chage the size of a collision hull is to open its *.lwo in lightwave and scale it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9549 by jumbo
I am sooo impressed! And hats off to flux for making it possible.

On a nostalgic note does anyone else remember the DS trench game that was on the Commodore Pet, I wanted to play that pretty badly too.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 1 week ago #9554 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Shane

The culling is an issue. As you approach the DS, it suddenly 'pops up' at a distance of 200 km. Of course, at that range it nearly fills the screen and kinda breaks the illusion.

Just did some testing and found something interesting:

The server app in the MP game apparently doesn't cull any objects at all (not even dynamically placed sims)!
So, you can put something like the deathstar way out in the distance and adjust the brightness accordingly so it shows up and can be targeted on the client. The client apparently doesn't cull the map objects that are read in per the map ini either, (I guess because at the time they are read in, there is no player on the map anyhow.)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 week ago #9555 by Shane
Turns out culling won't be a problem in either the SP or MP game.

The collision hull, however, will. [xx(]

To stay within the poly limits for the collision hull, I'd have to reduce it to a shape which would be useless (basically removing the trench). Not good. Over 248 polys and the model won't display at all (the 1$ HUD-range error).

What about this solution? I split the model into two different parts (model and CH) and then attach them via dockports. One model would be the orb itself, the other the trench. This would enable me to stay within the CH poly limits. Both could be icShip and use a null placed at the center of the model to dock (via POG) before the player sees them.
MajorTom (or GrandpaTrout): Would this work? Can you forsee any problems with this approach?

Thanks for all the input on this everyone.:)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 week ago #9557 by GrandpaTrout
Hmmm. The problem is letting the player pass through the collision hull to get into the trench. Or (very possibly) I did not understand the solution well.

If you split the model like an orange cut in half, and did a collision hull for both top and bottom sides. (basically made each one a seperate ship) then did another section for the trench. All three could be joined up by pog (or just placed very close together in MP).

If your trench is going to have any detail, bridges, or turrets (like the old arcade game), then it might be good to break that up into a few pieces (I have this skill for making simple things impossibly complex and undoable so beware..)

Pog could assemble this item, even without dockports, if it new the exact offsets all the pieces needed. Dockports just get rid of all guess work and let the Lightwave user do the alignment.

This should be good practice for building small moons and planets...
-Gtrout

More
20 years 1 week ago #9558 by Second Chance
Shane, I hope you don't mind. I couldn't see the pictures very well (EoC screenies are always too dark), so I took the liberty of adjusting their levels in Photoshop.

This looks like it could very well be one of the coolest things to ever happen to EoC. I'm glad you thought of it. [8D]

That is truly awsome!

Before you ask SecondChance, I used the 'most commonly' agreed size of about 115 kilometers diameter.

Any chance you could make it the more accurate 160 km? [:I]

I agree with GrandpaTrout on the components.

Nice, nice work Shane.

Oh, and I almost forgot my feelings on the Star Wars mod: I'm really glad this mod is being made. For one, it gives me an excuse to do some modeling I wouldn't normally do for myself. But even more importantly, it seems that there are many old EoC issues that are being addressed by this mod, and being solved! This mod seems to be opening doors that have consistently been a problem. For example; the disruptor gun and bot issues to name two. I think MajorTom deserves a lot of credit for putting in so much time and effort, and really coming through for us. I think when this mod is finished and documented (MT, you are documenting your progress right? I sure am.) it will make the creation of other even more unique mods just that much easier.

(Budweiser announcer voice)
Bud Light presents: Real American Heroes.

(chorus: Real American heroes...)

Today we salute you; Mister Pog code bot problem solver.

(chorus: Mister Pog code bot problem solver...)

Other people may poke fun and say it's just a game. But you know better, don't you.

(chorus: Get outdoors now, baby...)

Sure you're practically blind from staring at tiny characters on a screen day and night. But your years of poor diet and never seeing the sun make our wildest dreams come true. Sometimes even for minutes at a time.

(chorus: Yeah I'm fightin' the bad guys, baby...)

You proudly hold your head high and prove to us that pizza and caffeine is the true breakfast of champions.

(chorus: Sausage and pepperoni, baby...)

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light Mister Pog code bot problem solver.

(chorus: He solves the Pog code bot problems, baby...)

Because come Monday, while we all go back to our jobs as shoe salesmen and try to wrestle a size 2 shoe onto the foot an angry 300 pound woman...

(chorus: Big, big women, baby...)

...you'll be making millions breathing life into another expensive new game for LucasArts.

(chorus: Oh yeah, money for LucasArts, baby...)

Making sure we never forget: It's not just a game, it's a way of life.

(chorus: Mister Pog code bot problem solver...)

<font size="1">(Always drink responsibly and never let your friends talk you into climbing a frozen flagpole naked. Thank you.)</font id="size1">

*edit*
If you're not familiar with Bud Light radio spots, please go here and listen to a few before re-reading this.
budlight.whipnet.com/
*/edit*

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4