My feelings on the Star Wars mod.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9626 by jumbo
I may be way off here but, would it be possible to create the DS as a small moon? I do appreciate that it might not be impossible due to the collision properties of planets and that some clever things would have to be done to add the trench. Sorry if I am talk out of my err "turn" here, the DS is in game is a goal worthy of the technical problems that must be overcome to put it there.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9628 by Second Chance
Revised DS structure diagram.

The central structure doesn't have to be any size. In fact, it doesn't even need a model. The INI's only ask for a LW scene, whether it contains a model or not. The avatar scene can be empty, save for a root null. Then the setup scene (using the loaded original DS model as a guide) places dockports at the appropriate locations to match the dockports of the sections. By doing this, each section will be placed to perfectly fit with all the other sections, creating a seamless surface. Each section's CH should look exactly like it's matching section in the pic above. (Again, remember, the large gaps between sections in the pic are for visual clarity only, the sections should not have gaps in the final avatar.) And the CH for the hud display size can be just a low poly ball of whatever size looks good (since it isn't the actual CH used for collisions, but merely for sizing the hud display).

Also, the super-laser dish can easily be placed in one single section.

The problem with docking the sections to each other is that to get the angle of the dockports perfect will require all sorts of calculations based on the curvature of the sphere. Docking them all to a central structure only requires the original model as a guide.

Shane - Do you see what I'm saying about the section centerpoints? With the complete DS model loaded and cut into sections, you can then move the centerpoint of each new section to it's own center (rather than the DS center), and put a dockport there. Then using the original DS model, set up dockports at the locations of the sections new centerpoints. Then when the sections are docked to the main structure, they will fit together exactly like the un-sectioned DS model.

There may still be problems with this method, but at the moment, it's the best way I can think of to make this work and still have all the features we need it to have.

*edit*
I just remembered. The target lock image on the HUD display is based on the Avatar's low LOD. So, the main internal structure will definitely need to be a visible ball (although it can be any size, even tiny).

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 week ago #9629 by Shane

Shane - Do you see what I'm saying about the section centerpoints? With the complete DS model loaded and cut into sections, you can then move the centerpoint of each new section to it's own center (rather than the DS center), and put a dockport there.

Oh yeah. That's not a problem at all.

Jumbo: Originally I'd thought about using a planet also. But we understand so little of them (except that they have no models) that I abandoned the approach.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 week ago #9632 by MajorTom

Originally posted by jumbo

I may be way off here but, would it be possible to create the DS as a small moon? I do appreciate that it might not be impossible due to the collision properties of planets and that some clever things would have to be done to add the trench. Sorry if I am talk out of my err "turn" here, the DS is in game is a goal worthy of the technical problems that must be overcome to put it there.

I'd be all for it as a planet/moon.
But like Shane said, we know so little about the planets/maps ect and how to texture them. A moon would be ideal if we could make one without an atmosphere and texture the surface. Then we could probably child attach trenches to it.

We would probably need a new .map file for for the mp game though and I have no idea how to make one?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 week ago #9633 by EricMan64
I would stay away from planets and moons for this because ships exploding in planet atmosphere is one of the engine limitations that we just cannot work around. We want to be able to fly into the trenches of the DS.

As for the 'central core' I agree that it doesn't need to fill the inside. Who cares if the DS is actually hollow. The reason I suggest having an object in the center that everything docks to is that it would be useful to have a single object that the player always targets when selecting the DS and it is responsible for the hud image. Also, it would simplify the entire process if everything were docked to the same object. The 'central core' does not need to fill the interior of the DS. It can pretty much be as small or as large as Shane feels like making it.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9635 by Second Chance
Looks like EricMan and I are on the same page with the Death Star. Also, I have a pretty fair understanding of planets and map files from my work with Gtrout's geog SDK and my .map file maker, and a planet or moon would be more work for less satisfactory results. So a custom model is the way to go for right now.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4