My feelings on the Star Wars mod.

More
20 years 4 days ago #18028 by Shane
I mean, it sounds great. But I think you're missing something. Something big... :D

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A5579523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A%3A5%3C76%3Bot1lsi

Want it for the mod? I'll have to texture it first. And do something with the trench (it's rather empty).

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A5579523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A%3A5%3C776ot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A5579523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A%3A5%3C785ot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A5579523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A%3A5%3C786ot1lsi

I've got about 300 polys left which I can use to build structures in the trench.

It's really cool dropping into the trench... even without anything being in it. :D But it's more curved than in the movie. (Before you ask SecondChance, I used the 'most commonly' agreed size of about 115 kilometers diameter. ;) )

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 days ago #9541 by Second Chance
LOL, that's very cool!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 3 days ago #9542 by MajorTom

But I think you're missing something. Something big...

Hehe, I think you're right there.

WOW!
Thats BIG!

Want it? Yes!

we've already tested a map with 320 km in diameter in multiplayer so, the DS at 115 leaves us roughly 100 km around the outside to do stuff, which should be ample. (I always wanted to try a 400+ km map anyhow to see where stuff gets culled ;) )

Do you have any idea what the frame rates will be like when you look at it after it's textured? If you give it a rather plain texture with low details won't that prevent the frame rates from getting to low?
Do you have a collision hull for it? (the screenie looks like you're using a cargo pod hull). I'm pretty sure, if you use a larger collision hull that should make the avatar mesh fit inside the hud target window.

Lol, How many hit points do you think we should give it. I wonder what the explosion would be like if you call the standard iExplosives DeathScript for an object of that mass? :p
Would anyone within 100 km outlive the explosion? Hey! that gives me an idea for a mission and some cool mission objectives (set up a force field at a 'safe distance' where you have to flee so you can watch the explosion).

Yes, by all means lets give it a try and see what we can do with it.

:D[8D]:D[^][8D]:D

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 3 days ago #9543 by Shane
I'm still amazed it displayed at all. Certainly the largest object I've ever placed into the game. Hmmmm.... Are Ringworlds possible? (joking!)

The culling is an issue. As you approach the DS, it suddenly 'pops up' at a distance of 200 km. Of course, at that range it nearly fills the screen and kinda breaks the illusion. Maybe if the creation script set it to never cull (like Lucretia's base and the planets) it would always be visible. I can spot the bio-bomber from 300 km away, so I know it's possible.

You're right, MT; I am using a different collision hull right now. I just tacked the DS avatar onto it to see if it would display correctly. And I really wouldn't be surprised if I run into some problems with the mass/deathscripts. I'm thinking there will be an upper limit to the mass caculations from the CH which the DS exceeds.

I'm not even sure how to make the collision hull for it... unless I somehow split up the collision hull into sections, I'll run into excessive polys (the trench would require many CH polys).

I'll optimize the textures as much as possible, see if I can get the CH going, and we'll give it a shot. I'd like to work it into a SP version (for those on dial-up) and believe a load of turrets and fighter bays (launching ties) might be possible if the mass issue is not too troubling.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 days ago #9544 by Hot4Darmat

Originally posted by Shane

I'd like to work it into a SP version (for those on dial-up) and believe a load of turrets and fighter bays (launching ties) might be possible if the mass issue is not too troubling.

Thank you! Thank you!

This is probably a stupid question but, for the culling and long distance approach issue, would it be possible to make it like a planet from a distance of greater than 200 Km, then switch it out to a different object with a CH at that range such that one substitutes the other, but the switch is more or less invisible to the player?

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 3 days ago #9545 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Shane

I'm thinking there will be an upper limit to the mass caculations from the CH which the DS exceeds.

Shouldn't really matter if the mass calculations top out somewheres.
I'm sure you can fix the culling issue by placing the object per script and set it not cullable.

I'm not even sure how to make the collision hull for it... unless I somehow split up the collision hull into sections, I'll run into excessive polys (the trench would require many CH polys).

IIRC someone (Ericman?) once said you can scale collision hulls up in the .lws too (just like you can avatars)
Maybe you could use a scaled up CH from the large hollow asteroid in EpicOnline? (collisionhulls/LHAgr222_wr.ini). That is already pretty large (about 10 km inside diameter!), almost round and has 2 holes in it that might come in handy ;) (while the CH for the Bio Bomber is solid)
For the trench maybe two flat rings (like planet rings)placed on the outside at a distance from another?
The floor of the trench and the walls should be "solid" (on collisions) in any case, but the avatars of the scenery objects in the trench wouldn't really matter. (I don't think)

I'd like to work it into a SP version (for those on dial-up)

You'll be able to play the starwars multiplayer mod offline anyhow. (and I'll design the coop missions for it with that specifically in mind by providing bot support)

btw., I'm sure you can fix the culling issue by placing the DS per script and making it not cullable

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site