My feelings on the Star Wars mod.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9607 by Shane
SecondChance, I'm looking at the movie while I build the DS model. It appears the trench used to destroy the station is in the upper 'cap' of the DS. Is this correct?

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A58%3A%3A723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323532%3A3%3A4%3B7ot1lsi

Heads-up on a problem; because the model will be split into sections, smoothing values won't transmit across the sections. We'll have lines like in the picture below.

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A58%3A%3A723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323532%3A3%3A4%3B9ot1lsi

This project's getting ugly fast.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9608 by Second Chance
Sweeet Death Star pic! :D

Yes. You are correct, sir! That is indeed where the trench is.

The resultant smoothing problem bites!:(!

Well, I was going to suggest that the Death Star be built in sections similar to this...

...but now I wonder if we should try to find a different method.

I thought that building it like this would allow you more freedom for modeling. Since each section consists only of the exterior polys, you could have more polys per section. And each CH could be very low poly, consisting of exactly what you see in the pic. (Obviously you wouldn't have those huge gaps between sections. They're there for clarity. :D) I also figured that you could make the model section's pivot point center in the center of each section (like a normal avatar), and this way each section would use it's own LOD based on the player's distance to it's center. Then it would be a simple (simple = long, arduous and complicated) task to align all the sections to each other using dockports on the invisible central core.

But you're right, this is getting ugly fast. Maybe we should find another way. [V]

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 week ago #9609 by Shane

Sweeet Death Star pic!

You know, site after site argues over the size of the Death Star... and it's just plain silly. The picture clearly shows it's acurate dimensions.

The Death Star is about half as tall as that dude working on it. :D

Well, I was going to suggest that the Death Star be built in sections similar to this...

That would take care of the smoothing problem, since those sections tend to look somewhat 'raised' on the actual model. But, damn! This is gonna be a lot of sections!

MajorTom: Are we getting too intense? Will multiplayer handle the sections (and fill-in sections) from SecondChance's diagram?

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 week ago #9610 by EricMan64
If multiplayer cannot handle the death star, I would still create it for use in single player. It would be worth it, even only as an experiment into large objects in the flux engine. (we've learned a lot so far haven't we?) Iconic objects often work well enough for multiplayer, so you could create a non-sectioned DS shrunk to just small enough to work. Then the full size could be used in single player in all its detailed glory.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9611 by Second Chance

You know, site after site argues over the size of the Death Star... and it's just plain silly. The picture clearly shows it's acurate dimensions.

The Death Star is about half as tall as that dude working on it.:D

LOL! Damn you Shane, I just about shot my dinner out my nose when I read that. :p

No wonder the Tie Fighters came out so small.:D

Man, I would love to post that on some Star Wars board and watch the fanboys go apesh*t. You could even claim it to be canon evidence of the highest order; an official ILM photo.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
20 years 1 week ago #9612 by Second Chance
Just wanted to remind everyone about this pic in the size comparison thread.

Death Star next to Bio Bomber

160 kilometers of pure Death Star goodness.

*edit
Sorry, my personal server isn't working. I've moved the pic to my work server.
*edit*