file Epic: Middle States bug reports

More
18 years 3 months ago #14393 by GrandpaTrout
No, I don't. I have not tried to reproduce that bug. I will let it run over lunch and see what happens.

[Edit] I let it run for most of yesterday, but never had a crash.

Let me just be sure my setup was the same. You dock and the station, leave the menu up and wait. After some length of time, the game crashes. Yes?

Are you doing anything else during this time? Exiting out to desktop? Running some other software in the background? I am just looking for conditions I need to duplicate to get the crash to happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14429 by pr0fez
It could also be a memory leak in some win 98 dll. I also notice you are running rambus memory ... I've seen some weird crashes and memleaks when doing rapid context-switches (particularily between mapped video memory and system memory) with rambus memory on an older windows platform; although NT in that case, so maybe not related. It's conceivable that more context switching is going on after long periods of inactivity, but all these are pretty rare cicrumstances.

However, what I'm trying to advocate, is it could be a driver problem. Has anyone else experienced this crash?

Hmm ... since I live country where English is a secondary language, I've begun noticing how my tone seems to become more and more that of written language; a seeming fact also true about my spoken language and reproductions thereof. "Advocate". Hmpf.

| Raphael aka pr0fez
| Observe the Power of Syntactic Sugar!

More
18 years 2 months ago #14568 by Kitsune
When I press CTRL-C, I do not see any communications menu. The only thing that happens is target changes.

Other than that, I appreciate all the work put into this mod; I knew there was a reason I was keeping my EoC game.

Kitsune

Kitsune

More
18 years 2 months ago #14569 by Kitsune
Disregard above, I was not using the TS_Keyboard configuration in the controls menu. duh

Kitsune

Kitsune

More
18 years 2 months ago #14578 by CarstenB
Greetings and thanks for breathing more life into I-War 2!

I reinstalled EoC and upgraded to Middle States but I ran into a few snags at first.

First game:
I found myself in the escape pod with no clues to how I got there, but someone had put a post-it on the pod controls urging me to contact Annabelle. I hired the unaffiliated pilot and managed to establish a protocol for giving him simple orders. I ordered him to stay put while I went to purchase a new ship.

I approached the station and tried to contact approach control for directions to an empty docking port. No luck! A couple of hot shot fighter pilots on R&R had docked to the station and were probably celebrating their glorious milk run to the nearest asteroid. No amount of screaming or pleading with the traffic controllers could free up a docking port for me. I guess they had enough on their plate with two megafreighters dancing around the station to dock.

In the end I ran out of air and died.

Game over, man - Game Over.

Second game:
Down on my luck and found myself in another escape pod. Who would have thunk that would happen again... Oh, well - this time I managed to hire another freighter and got the escape pod safely to the station where I met with a sleazy used ship dealer. He only had one ship within my budget and it looked ok, but I guess looks can be deceiving. As soon the credit transfer was complete and I was 100.000 credits lighter in my purse, I entered the hangar to check out my new ship. Imagine my horror when I found that all my standard equipment: power plant, drives, passive sensors and weapons had mysteriously disappeared and there was no way to make my brand new used tug spaceworthy. Stranded on station with nowhere to go and out of funds.

I found the damned salesman and bashed his head in. The station security forces were not impressed and I got a one way trip out the airlock without an EVA suit.

Game 2 over, man.

Third game:
Well, third try was the charm, at least for now. Only "bug" until now has been an insystem L-Point that was Out of System to the autopilot. Manual LDS is still a possibility luckily.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14583 by cambragol
Well, life in the Middle States can be tough. One moment your up a 100 000 credits, the next your being blasted out an airlock.

Your first problem, with the full dockports, can be solved by LDSing to another station and then back. That usually does the trick.

The second unfortunate event is a little bit more obscure...perhaps GrandpaTrout knows what was happening there.

Good to hear that you have a career started now. I wish you the best in all your endeavors out there. And very glad that you are enjoying the new life in the game! More to come as well...