Simulator

More
20 years 10 months ago #6479 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Simulator
Keep those updates and pics coming.

I'm really enjoying the progressive nature of this thread. Slow progress is fine, just don't ever stop the work completely. I want to see the final product.

--
Hot4Darmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 10 months ago #6536 by Crazywolf
Replied by Crazywolf on topic Simulator
Ok Shane......... as far as toggle switches go. Use center toggle switches. They self center so that when you push them up or down you could have them do their function then return back....... just like a keystroke. As far as swithes for the throttle as well as the cycle switch........ it's done in modern figher aircraft (old Air Force fighter mechanic here). Now as far as your seat placement goes........ you might want to have it slightly tilted backward. It will make it more comfortable during those long firefights (figher seats are tilted back for that reason and to give the pilot a view of behind him). As far as your foot pedals......... you could use this for roll, but that all depends on your preference. And I've seen at Best Buy two piece flight controls.......one throttle and one cycle. Well........ that's about all I can come with at the moment. Good luck on your project.

More
20 years 10 months ago #6546 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Simulator
Thank you, Crazywolf. Indeed I am using center toggle switches for most simulation controls. Since my roll is the twist of the joystick (a brutal hack-job on a Microsoft ForceFeedback 2 joystick) I'm using industrial foot switches (which actually work better than pedals) on the floor. I'm placing three of them: While running EoC, two of them will be used for thruster override controls (each handles two controls spring-loaded to return to center). The other probably won't be used for EoC and is just for future games.

Good idea about the seat. I'll spend some time in it and see if raising it up would be more comfortable. I've got a metal 'shelf' which holds the keyboard to it (using velcro) and is mounted to the right of the pilot seat. This is hinged on the bottom, and unlatches to fold down and present the keyboard across the pilot's lap (basically for surfing the web in the simulator). Angling the seat back might change the placement of this, but that's not too much of a problem.

Lacking access to a metal lathe, I'm reduced to paying metal shops for the parts I need for the thruster controls and main joystick. That sucks, but if that's what it takes. I want the throttle assembly and stick in turned aluminum so it has the correct weight/feel.

Thanks for the advice. Everyone's helped me solve a lot of problems before I ever encountered them. It is much appreciated.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 9 months ago #6855 by blackbeard
Replied by blackbeard on topic Simulator
Hi Shane --

Have you ever checked out websites like www.advancedsimulation.com for ideas? Their prices aren't too outrageous, and it seems they have some excellent products which may solve many of your problems -- or at least give you ideas. Also, is there an airplane "graveyard" anywhere near your residence? Out here in California, there's one located in Arizona (there and back in one day from my residence) where, if you're careful, you can access an incredible wealth of aviation cockpit and control components. These planes have essentially been left out in the desert to weather away.

Are your sensors faulty? It looks dangerous out there.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6896 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Simulator
Hello Blackbeard.

Thanks for the link. The prices are pretty good for some of the components, but did you see the cost for the whole simulator packages? Outrageous! $35,000 for a plastic-looking simulator without even a full enclosure? Good grief!

Their controls are so shiny and plastic-looking... It just gives me the willies. :D On mine, every device which is seen by the pilot is made to look old and used (rather like the tug exterior in EoC). Old, heavy-duty switches, simulated rust and tarnish (sealed with multiple coats of acrylic), and the like. I love grungy ships. [8D]

If space sims games were more popular with current audiences, I'd most certainly go into business doing this. Mine should cost a mere $3500 tops (and that includes the projector, which by itself, costs $1000). Of course, mine's a lot harder to haul around, and requires a dedicated power feed buried in the yard. Most people wouldn't care for something this large.

When the original is done, I might look into this field. I'd like to create one that remains inside the house, totally encloses the pilot (providing both sound reduction and atmoshpere (not breathing atomshpere... drama atmosphere ;) )), but is composed of sections which can be taken apart and moved with ease.

Who knows? There might be a market out there someday. We're just now seeing the flight sims take off (pun intended... couldn't resist).

Right now I'm located in Georgia, where a piece of metal left outside begins rusting by the end of the day; I don't think there are any airplane graveyards around. But I'm going to check it out. Old knobs and switches are difficult to replicate.

Thanks!

-Shane

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 9 months ago #6907 by blackbeard
Replied by blackbeard on topic Simulator
Shane --

Believe me, I pretty much knew what your response to some of the prices would be. My reaction was the same. I just thought you might get some ideas/inspiration from some of the equipment offered. The part about the airplane "graveyard" was more of a "wouldn't it be nice if" scenario than anything else. The areas where the airplane "graveyards" are located are very much constrained by climate -- especially humidity. If you somehow get a chance, you should visit one of these places. They give you an eerie feeling and, more importantly, a feeling of what it's like to sit inside a complex cockpit.