Simulator

More
21 years 1 month ago #5666 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Simulator
Well, no... I haven't finished it yet. But I'm getting closer. I'm mostly wiring the thing and building the control boards. I've some pictures, but I'd have to get somebody to host them (MSN, in all its glory, does not allow anyone without MSN to view the picutures... all they see is a little red 'x').

The only thing you could possibly add to your project would be the entirely unrealistic use of a motorised gyroscope type device to throw the whole thing around...

That would probably be very dangerous... by my estimate, it weighs more than a small car!:D

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 1 month ago #5670 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Simulator
Wow Shane! Somehow, I completely missed this project of yours. But it has a eerie ring of familiarity to it. I've dreamt of doing this for ...well, years. Probably since the WC series days, but right up until recently, I've mentally designed a spaceship cockpit simulator. Everyone wants to make their gaming sanctum sanctorum; their dream game rig setup; their ultimate "I'm-in-a-frickin'-spaceship-so-I-can't-answer-the-phone" computer game environment. I'm one of these people, too. But I lacked the skill, location, wherewithall, but mostly the discipline to go beyond the paper plans I drew up and the ideas, and actually start making it happen. This is AMAZING sounding. Please photodocument the progress and post a photodiary with text when its done. I may have to make a road trip to try this out when its all said and done. I'm with SDV: I GOTTA see this.

You're probably way beyond this point, but did you solve the foot pedal dilemma. I would suggest the "rudder" equivalence rather than roll controls for foot pedals...seems more ergonomic. The thrust override, and maybe reverse thrusters would go well down there, too (like gas and brakes on the car). The display issue is one that always plagued me, because I wanted to be able to look at more than just directly ahead. The WC games had F keys for side, top and rear views that, if linked to separate displays, could be placed just right to give a simulated experience of sitting in a cockpit that protrudes from the craft somewhat so you could turn your head and look all around. Even I-War had the different workstations that could have been placed on different monitors, all within view. This isn't really an option in EoC, other than the F3 view (which I suppose could be modified and matched, but with difficulty), so front-looking is pretty much it, I guess. You'd still have the issue of multiple monitors in the simulator, heat buildup, linking displays, etc. I would have loved to have the ENG screen, the NAV map, and the ORB on separate small "in-dash" mini-monitors on my fantasy simulator.

Make sure it's well ventilated with fresh air. Have a phone with headset hookup available, a bowl for snacks, a cup holder, a garbage receptacle, your favourite saint statuette wiggling on the dash, and make sure you hang a small pine tree shaped airfreshener from the black-and-yellow striped emergency ejection handles in the ceiling.

I'm still kind of awed and blown away that you're doing this. This takes the whole "kindred spirit" thing to a creepy level.

Cool!

--
Hot4Darmat

More
21 years 1 month ago #5672 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Simulator

I may have to make a road trip to try this out when its all said and done.

Woot! Party at Shane's!

More
21 years 1 month ago #5675 by Shane

You're probably way beyond this point, but did you solve the foot pedal dilemma. I would suggest the "rudder" equivalence rather than roll controls for foot pedals...seems more ergonomic. The thrust override, and maybe reverse thrusters would go well down there, too (like gas and brakes on the car).

I thought the same... I'm set up for thruster overrides (two pedals) upon the floor. The pedals are industrial rocker-switches (which I've modified somewhat) and are spring loaded to return to 'off' position when pressure is removed. So with one switch you can move forward or backward, and with the other left or right (port or starboard?).

The display issue is one that always plagued me, because I wanted to be able to look at more than just directly ahead.

I tried a fresnel lens in front of a computer screen, but it looked shabby. So I opted for the projector unit (which I've yet to purchase... something which needs to be done soon). As far as displaying side 'windows', I decided to settle for three screens - the main screen (51"x38" projected), a front-console mounted 18" screen right in front of the pilot, and a left-side 15" screen. EoC may not be set up to display a couple of views at once, but, as MajorTom advised, there might be ways around this. In any case, the patchboard will enable control configuration changes at the drop of a hat, so future games could perhaps take advantage of this.

I'd planned to start an EoC mod after my responsibilities in Epic are done, but I believe I'm going to head in another direction now. After fooling about with Orbiter and Celestia, I've wondered if I could not put the two together (Orbiter employs orbital mechanics, mass, momentum, etc while Celestia offers a real-time simulation of all stars and known planets... including correct distances!). All I would need then is a Gap drive to get from place to place, then set up the economy and factions, sound effects and the like. Certainly a project which would some time, but I believe it would be worth it.

You'd still have the issue of multiple monitors in the simulator, heat buildup, linking displays, etc.

Heat buildup should not be a problem; the unit is cooled by a powerful, dedicated air conditioner. In the small space allotted for the pilot, it should be able to handle the load well. Moisture is a problem... open the doors on a summer day and moist air comes right in where I don't want it, so I'm adding dehumidifying equipment.

Fresh air has been a challenge. The unit is sealed and heavily insulated to prevent temperature loss from air infiltration (and even thermal radiation), but that means a limited supply of oxygen for the pilot. And I likes my oxygen. However, if I open a duct to bring in fresh air I lose cooling and allow humidity to enter.

The best solution I found was to place the simulator next to the house and set up a duct system where I share atmosphere with the house. A main duct exits the simulator (carrying exhaust air which has circulated through the cabin, between the shell and the cabin) and dumps the air either into the house or just out into the open. In the summertime I set the damper to carry the air into the house, and pull from the house for my air supply. This should actually aid in cooling the house (the ac on the simulator is way oversized) and provide fresh air without moisture. In winter I can pull and vent directly to the outside air without problem.

I simply cannot tell you how happy my wife is with my projects. :D Remind me to tell you about the 1000 gallon aquarium I was building until she put her foot down (she made me downsize it to 250 gallons). She's no fun... :p

Have a phone with headset hookup available, a bowl for snacks, a cup holder, a garbage receptacle, your favourite saint statuette wiggling on the dash, and make sure you hang a small pine tree shaped airfreshener from the black-and-yellow striped emergency ejection handles in the ceiling.

Got all this ready, except for the saint statue (intruding memories of the movie Airplane). I've traded for my son's figure of Stitch for this.

I may have to make a road trip to try this out when its all said and done. I'm with SDV: I GOTTA see this.

You, and anyone else, are more than welcome to stop by play with the simulator (assuming I ever get this sucker done!). For so long I thought I was the only one who wanted something like this. My father and Grandfather, who have never played a video game in their lives, think I've lost my mind. :D

However, my Grandfather was an airline mechanic for 40 years, and when he found out what I was up to he gave me boxes and boxes of old switches and relays he'd saved from working on planes. You would not believe the switches he had... amazing.

More
21 years 1 month ago #5680 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Simulator
No, you haven't lost your mind. You're just DOING what the rest of us geeks only dream about. As for spousal support: after a few projects get done on our house, I'm rebuilding and renovating a shed by the shoreline that used to be referred to as the "fish-shack" into my own little playground: mostly as a model-building shop (one of my many other geeky hobbies), so I can finally get the many half-finished projects I have (including a 1/300 scale Dreadnaught model) done. She's remarkably supportive in theory, but when it comes time to spending time and money, it becomes a bit of a re-negotiation. This is a good thing, as I need those realistic checks and balances, or I'd go over the top.

As for ventilation, you're right, oxygen is kind of important for the brain, but I was thinking more of those marathon gaming sessions after that yummy chili supper.

Anyway, good luck with the projection unit, and the final push for the simulator. iirc, you live in the southern states, yes? We have relatives in St. Louis Missouri...anywhere near there? Just mentally planning that road trip.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
21 years 1 month ago #5682 by Shane

...into my own little playground: mostly as a model-building shop (one of my many other geeky hobbies), so I can finally get the many half-finished projects I have (including a 1/300 scale Dreadnaught model) done.

Cool. I enjoy building models also. I tend towards spacecraft, but the only kit models of those are Star Trek ships. And one Space:1999 Eagle I found under a shelf in the local model shop (dusty and from the 70's). To build anything else requires doing it from scratch.

Do you know of a way to form plastic? That's the major challenge I encounter when looking into scratch model production. Fiberglass resin is workable, but expensive, somewhat brittle, and not able to hold enough detail. I'd love to find a way to melt down and reform waste plastics, or even aluminum/tin alloys (soda cans) for this purpose, but that's probably out of my reach.

I'd love to see some pics of the Dreadnaught. By my estimate, it will be almost 2 feet long... is that right?

I've always hoped to build a large scale Eagle, and a Martian Tripod Fighting Machine (four or five feet high) from Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

She's remarkably supportive in theory, but when it comes time to spending time and money, it becomes a bit of a re-negotiation.

My wife wrecked the car last week (she's fine... the car, however, is quite dead), so I have an enormous amount of leeway right now for projects. ;)

I live in Stockbridge... just outside of Atlanta, Georgia. If you ever get down here, please stop by.