Simulator

More
21 years 11 months ago #1861 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Simulator
It's hard to explain, but the keyboard (for me) just lacks "atmosphere". I've configured my joystick to use the hat switch to control the thruster overrides, but found it not worth the effort...the diagonals (for example override reverse and left) did not work very well; especally in the heat of combat. The "spin" controls are handled by the twist of the joystick, and does it quite well.

BTW: An update of the project- ordered the keyboard encoder from Hagstrom today! Cost 140.00 (encoder/cables/breakout board/taxes), but I believe will be worth the cash. Next to the fresnel lens, this should be the most costly element of the project (most other things I can get from salvage or have left over from my work).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 10 months ago #2081 by Shane
Sorry. I've been negligent on my updates on the simulator project. I'm going on vacation tomorrow. I was actually supposed to go today, but put it off to work on the simulator...my wife is starting to get 'that look'. But I'll be back the next Sunday.

The walls are up, the seat is chosen, and the display hardware is on its way. Once again I have to apoligize for the lack of pictures; I just haven't had the time to get them developed. I now have interior and exterior walls with the airspace between them. The unit is heavy...I mean really heavy. In the order of 2,000 - 3,000 lbs. A two-ton hydraulic jack is the only hope shifting it. The runners (skids) are of pressure treated 4x6's, the floor is composed of an insulated 2x4 frame on 6" centers, with 2x12's on one side (think floorboards), then a sheet of 3/4" tounge and groove flooring plywood on each side. It makes a very stable platform. Stomping on the floor produces nothing but a dull thump (I didn't want the thing to sound like a plywood box). Both walls are done, studded on 12" centers with braces on each center. 1/2" plywood sheaths the interior cabin (it will be covered with steel plates) and 5/8" plywood covers the exterior shell.

This thing should be able to withstand a tornado...

All the switches and control panels I've ordered off Ebay are in, and the patch board is almost finished. The one thing which has eluded me is the floor grates. I can't find anyone who makes them (though I probably couldn't afford them if I did). I've tried to luck up and find some in salvage, but no luck yet. If I get finished with the rest of the project I'll just have to use the patterned aluminum-tread sheets.

I'm going to buy the air conditioning unit next week when I return from vacation. It does not have to be powerful (it's cooling a space 6' x 10') but it does have to have a selector which brings in fresh air from outside. The cabin is so air-tight a person could suffocate in it.

The projection-computer/dvd/satellite television parts look like they will go together without a hitch. I should have a viewing area 52" across. I'll be shopping for speakers in about two weeks.

I had to decide on the control layouts, and after some research, I've decided to use the 'style' of the Leanov (sp?) from the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact. I really like the somewhat cluttered but functional control panels. Makes it look like a real working ship. (Admission: Oh ok, it IS one of my favorite movies of all time!)

Well, that's all for now. I'll be off to sunny Florida tomorrow evening (sniff, sniff. I'm really getting to the FUN part of the simulator now).

Edited by - Shane on 09 Jun 2002 04:38:17

More
21 years 8 months ago #2492 by SlipStream
Replied by SlipStream on topic Simulator
How might this be progressing shane?

{SIG}
CHECK THIS GAME OUT!!!
www.starshatter.com/
LOOKS REALLY COOL

Its been sucha long time and IW2 still rocks my sox just as much...who woulda figured eh?

More
21 years 8 months ago #2508 by Shane
Hi Slipstream. I would have to say it's progressing somewhat slowly at this point in time. Family, work, home maintenance, and school tend to override my projects, especially during the summer. It IS progressing, however. The base, walls, and ceiling are built, insulated, and painted. The shell panels have been fitted (to allow access to the wiring between the shell and the cabin). Now that the roof is on, the next step is to pull the simulator out of my garage and locate it on a concrete pad in my backyard (next to my shop). This is the task I've planned for tomorrow...wish me luck! By my caculations, the simulator weighs over 1,000 lbs.
Once it's outside, I'll start installing the cooling unit (fancy name for a window air-conditioning unit) and dig a trench for the wiring. Then build the main console. Oh yeah, the seat was built and installed about a week ago.
I haven't totaled up the figures recently, but I've spent about $300.00 for the thing so far. That may seem like alot, but wait until you see it. Most of the lumber/metal/components I've used came from scrap/salvage. I really must get the pictures developed! I'll try to get them done this week.
The thing that has slowed me down the most on this project is the planning; every time I feel I've worked out the best possible way to set the cabin up, I come up with something new and change the design. However, I have recently come to the realization that, like a house, the simulator is something you never really 'finish'. It will remain a work-in-progress as long as I have it. So, I'm moving ahead with my most current plans and allowing for some changes (and rewiring!) in the future.
Thanks for the interest! I'll get the pictures up soon!

More
21 years 8 months ago #2561 by SlipStream
Replied by SlipStream on topic Simulator
Most Excellent...i look forward to seeing it heh.

{SIG}
CHECK THIS GAME OUT!!!
www.starshatter.com/
LOOKS REALLY COOL

Its been sucha long time and IW2 still rocks my sox just as much...who woulda figured eh?

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5641 by toastrack
Replied by toastrack on topic Simulator
Did you ever finish this project? I just stumbled across this thread today. (My first day at this forum....just started playing EoC, though played I-War 1 and Defiance a looong time ago.....was addicted to Elite even longer ago than that.) Anyway....your project sounds sooo cool. I've always toyed with the idea of building something similar myself ever since turning large cardboard boxes and bunkbeds into spaceships as a kid. The only thing you could possibly add to your project would be the entirely unrealistic use of a motorised gyroscope type device to throw the whole thing around...though I guess that would require some dedicated games software as I totally doubt you could link FF commands to a set of orientatio motors....though perhaps you could use the outgoing X/Y axis data from the joystick.
cool.
Wish you luck.

...that's torn it.

...that's torn it.