Simulator

More
21 years 2 weeks ago #6024 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Simulator
An update: I moved the damn thing (the simulator) today. :D I'd put it off for months and months, since I'd have to raise the opening for the garage door 1 1/2" to get it out(after removing the garage doors and then reinstalling them afterward). But today I decided it was it or me... one of us was going down. :D

I'd decided long ago where to place it in the yard, and prepared the site. All I had to do today was drag it with the truck into its new position.

Things didn't turn out like I'd planned, however. I'd drilled two holes through the 4x6" runners the simulator sits upon, and put a 1" steel bar through them. Then I hooked my tow chain up to that. End result: a one-inch diameter steel bar bent in half before the simulator ever moved three feet. I may have underestimated the weight of the thing.

So, I run my tow chain through the holes and attempt to pull it directly. My truck was unable to pull the simulator. Only by jacking the simulator up and pouring oil under the runners was I able to tow it out of the garage.

Once I was in the yard, the truck could not pull it any further... the back tires would just spin on the grass.

Luckily, I'd watched a special on the monoliths at Easter Island years ago. In this show, teams of present-day scientists competed to move concrete monoliths using methods available to those who constructed the originals. Using a tactic I found there, I was able to get the simulator across the yard and into its correct position.

I jacked up the simulator with a 2-ton hydrualic jack, placed timbers coated in oil under it, and then prised upon the sides with a 6' steel bar to shift first one corner then the other. It took six hours. At times I was able to cheat a little and use a winch and nearby trees, but it was some serious back-breaking work.

Next time I believe I'll build a little lighter. :D

I'm going to try to put a picture up. We'll see if this works. If it does, I can post some more.

http://images.snapfish.com/33752%3C4%3B23232%7Ffp69%3Dwp%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3Dxroqdf%3E23233883%3B5%3A%3A6wp1lsi

Edit: Crap... guess that didn't work.

Edit: Hah! Got it. Now, does anyone else see the picture? <fingers crossed>

I'll try another:

http://images.snapfish.com/33752%3C4%3B23232%7Ffp69%3Dwp%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3Dxroqdf%3E2323393%3A58%3B5%3Awp1lsi

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 2 weeks ago #6025 by Shane
OK. The little ones worked out. Let me try a bigger one: (this may take some time to load... sorry.)

http://images.snapfish.com/33752%3C8723232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3Dxroqdf%3E23233883%3B5%3A%3A%3Aot1lsi

We'll see if that works.;)

More
21 years 2 weeks ago #6026 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Simulator
Yep, pictures work great!

More
21 years 2 weeks ago #6029 by Shane
Cool. It only took me a year and a half to learn how to post a picture on the fourm. ;) Ain't I swift... :D

Closeup of Panel Detail:

http://images.snapfish.com/3375335923232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3Dxroqdf%3E23233883%3B5%3A%3A9ot1lsi

More
20 years 10 months ago #6439 by blackbeard
Replied by blackbeard on topic Simulator
Shane: I'm impressed, to say the least. Have you checked out any of the professional simulators used by the military or NASA -- just for general ideas re how to handle certain tasks? I know the the Shuttle astronauts use a simulator -- perhaps it can give you ideas. Even the special effects people who create the attractions at Universal Studios, etc. probably have some reference material which would help. The only limiting factor I can see for your project is $ (and maybe a wife who feels ignored). Please keep us posted on this

Are your sensors faulty? It looks dangerous out there.

More
20 years 10 months ago #6441 by Shane
Hi Blackbeard. I've checked out those sites regularly, but the most helpful information I've found is from individuals who make flight simulators (commercial and combat aircraft) as a hobby. There is a whole subculture there with access to used aircraft parts, electronics parts, and the know-how to put it all together.

I never did find anyone who made a spacecraft simulator... everything done today is aircraft and racing car simulators. I'm either a pioneer or a certified wacko. :D (more likely the latter)

Thursday night I put the roof trusses on the simulator. Rain was forcasted Friday, so it had to be done. Took five hours and some serious back-breaking work, racing the daylight. Glad it's done though... carrying the end trusses (two trusses braced with blocks) over my head up a ladder (each weighs about 85 lbs.) and then holding them in place while trying to run screws into them is something I'd dreaded for a long time.

I'll take some pictures of it with the trusses on (and if the weather cooperates, might get the roof on tomorrow... who knows?).

Thanks for the continued interest... the project moves, but it moves slowly (real life a real hassle lately). ;)