file IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
6 years 10 months ago #20614 by Chessking
I too am planning on helping with re-texturing. Perhaps, we can work together on it once things get rolling. (Along with IronDuke, of course). Would you be working with programs like Photoshop? If so, that could work well because I mostly do stuff with procedural content generation (perlin noise, algorithms, etc.). These techniques are most useful for generating patterns, such as metal patterns on a ship's hull, but not for specific details or blending into different patterns across the hull. We'll see how it goes.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #20615 by IronyMan
I'm a poor boy. I use Krita; it's like Photoshop but free and open source. B)

More
6 years 10 months ago #20616 by Chessking
Interesting. I too do not use Photoshop, but Gimp when I really need to. Gimp is free as well, but seems to be rather difficult to use. Perhaps Krita is better.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 10 months ago #20617 by IronDuke
Right, I'll try out Irfanview. Previously I'd used a really old version of Paint Shop Pro, since Gimp can't seem to open .RAW files. Thanks Chessking! :)

As for texturing the models, to keep file sizes and load times down, I'd like to use procedural textures wherever possible. No idea how, but Unity's documentation was talking about them, so I'm sure it's not hard. Obviously lots of stuff can't be textured procedurally, so the old-fashioned method will be needed as well.

--IronDuke

P.S. This thread really exploded. :blink:

P.P.S Bozobub, thank you for the giant laugh. :lol:

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #20618 by Chessking
Remember when I tried to render the background stars in real-time? From that experience, it shouldn't be too hard to implement what you are talking about. Basically, on program launch, the game will render textures and save them as images, that can then be used by the program throughout the game. An advanced solution would be for the game to save the rendered images to the hard drive, so they do not have to be rendered next time the game is loaded.

Storm Petrel

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #20619 by Bozobub

Chessking wrote: Interesting. I too do not use Photoshop, but Gimp when I really need to. Gimp is free as well, but seems to be rather difficult to use. Perhaps Krita is better.

There's a LOT of crossover, but imo Krita is easier to use in many ways (much cleaner UI, for example) and more conducive to image creation, while GIMP 2 is best for image manipulation. It's a lot like the distinction between Illustrator and Photoshop, in many ways.

A significant number of people create initial content in Krita, import to Gimp, then make it dance about. I've done it myself (badly).

Sadly, I am NOT much of a savant; the only artistic medium I can manipulate with much skill is clay :P . I'll happily help with alpha/beta testing and such, however, if you need extra minions.