IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
7 years 6 months ago #20409 by schmatzler
I've stopped playing for a while now, because I sold my old Tower PC (was way too expensive regarding power) and now I don't have a Gameport for my Sidewinder FF Pro on my netbook.

Before I can seriously start playing again, I need to solder myself an adapter. I'm starting to miss the game already... :(

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #20411 by IronDuke
You may be puppy-eyeing for a while... school is still in the way.
That said, this week I've been tinkering with AI movement using PID controllers. I've gotten a ship to be able to move to a specific position, without overshooting, and without regards to orientation. This is important because it's part of making sure the AIs can move using all 6 DOF.
Anyway, welcome to the forums!

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 6 months ago #20415 by Bozobub
I'm curious; how are you scripting missions and game logic, if you've gotten there yet? Something native to Unity, good ol' POG, or something handrolled?

More
7 years 6 months ago #20416 by IronDuke
Not there yet, but the entire thing is to be coded in C#, which UNity has integrated and I have 4 years of "experience" in.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 6 months ago #20418 by Bozobub
This may've been discussed already, but if you can, would you please make the localizations, ships, weapons, and possibly even missions use external files (say, XML or the old IWar 2 .ini files, whatever) for as much of the logic/definitions as you can? Textures and other artwork are already a problem, as it is, when trying to mod Unity games.

I'm asking because Unity otherwise forces you to have Unity to mod the game, which can be something of a hurdle, unless you dig up some rather esoteric file wrappers/unwrappers (which also technically violates the DMCA in the US). I'm an Early Access purchaser of SPAZ 2 on Steam, and this issue w/ Unity has already come up several times :(.

This likely will mean at least some more work for you (you have to parse the files, of course) but this also allows easy modding and/or community contribution and support. Localizations are a perfect example of how many Unity games forget to expose this data in an easily-moddable form, where fan communities wanted to take up the slack but simply couldn't easily. Rebel Galaxy has this problem, for example.

More
7 years 6 months ago #20421 by IronDuke
No problem, although it'll have to be a post 1.0 thing. It would indeed take some extra work. I know how important modding support is, since I'm an old modder of I-War 2 and owe my interest in video game development to that. Technically, the fact that this game has more than 1 player a year is owed to that as well. It's the modders that have kept it alive. B)

--IronDuke