file IronDuke's I-War2 Remake/I-War3

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20321 by Chessking
I have customized the algorithm used to generate the texture in the fractal texture generating program, and haven't perfected it yet. Everything is black and white, and does not yet resemble stars, but the pattern is obviously from my algorithm. I tried increasing the texture quality of the sphere, and... crashed Unity. I am just too much for it to handle, I guess. Or maybe I am just that bad of a C# scripter. Being as this is my first day scripting in C#, I don't think I am doing that bad.

Here is a screenshot of the sphere from the outside without normals inverted.

And now I crashed my computer by exiting Space Engine. :dry:

Anyways, it is nearly midnight where I live. Perhaps I should get some sleep. :huh:

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #20323 by IronDuke
Space Engine has always had a ton of crashing problems.

As for that sphere, it's looking good so far. I'd like to see the C# script to check whether that's what's causing the Unity crash.

This might be easier to work together on if we have some sort of live chat. Do you have a Skype account?

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20324 by Chessking
Hmmm. I turns out the scripts are JS not C#. I suspect line 21 may be responsible for the blurry texture. With the width and height variables higher (they can be changed in the Unity editor as well) the game runs slowly. It would probably run faster in C#, but I am not sure. I am working on finding the problem in the algorithm responsible for the amount of white in the texture.

Edit: Perhaps we could use Skype, but not now.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel
Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #20325 by Chessking
I have come as close as I can to a solution. I positioned a plane in front of the camera at its far clipping plane. I have not found a way to ensure the plane fills the view perfectly, since the FOV and screen resolution are both taken into account. So I have the plane set to be larger than the view. I then generate a texture for the plane. There are two problems:

The program runs fairly slow.

The texture does not look like stars. I cannot get the gray pixels to draw correctly, and they look like they are white. I have tried several color modes.

I have attached the most recent version of the script.

Storm Petrel
Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #20327 by IronyMan
Okay, I am super pumped for this project. IronDuke, if you can pull this off it will be amazing. Even if you don't, the badassery you're exhibiting in the effort will get you anywhere. ;)

I wish I could help, but I know very little about Unity and programming in general. I have a rudimentary knowledge of Blender and am slowly levelling up as a general artist. If you need help with visual design or anything like that, I'll give it a shot. No guarantees anything I produce will be usable, but I'll do anything in my power to help this project succeed. :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #20328 by IronDuke
Thankee. I'll keep that in mind, and welcome to the forums. Nice avatar too. B)

I haven't been able to work on the remake at all this week. My grandma died, so my parents hiked off to Green Bay, Wisconsin to be with my grandpa for a week, so I've got enough to do here in the meantime. Hopefully things will settle down to normal soon.

I did find a button in Blender that I'd been looking for for a couple of years though... :silly:

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)