What about the new SD model?

More
19 years 9 months ago #11191 by Second Chance
Yes, it's 1600 meters.

This pic is the accurate one.
members.cox.net/second_chance/new_sd_comp2.jpg

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11315 by MajorTom
You know, looking at that picture (and the HTML in the Encylopedia), the capital class carrier might be an option for a rebel carrier.

It has basic shape roughly like some of the rebel carriers (for example the MC40a.)

You would "just" have to retexture it and relocate/add some dockport nulls to a bay.

Just an idea, I dunno if the above "just" is more work than doing a completly new model or not?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11325 by Second Chance
Given the difficulty of trying to make new textures without a proper template, and the fact that we're talking about a highly visible and important ship for gameplay; I think we would be better served to just make a new model. Whatever it may turn out to be.

Really, building a Mon Cal ship is no problem. I just need to find some decent reference material.

Or maybe, instead of just one big carrier type ship, we use several smaller ships clustered together like a fleet. Ok, bear with me here for a second. "Home One" was an immense ship, and it did have landing bays where we saw maintenance being done, but we don't know that Home One was actually a carrier. Rebel fighters don't actually require a carrier, as they're capable of hyperspace travel on their own. And as we saw in the Battle of Endor, the fighters were already flying in formation with the bigger ships before they traveled to the scene of the battle. As opposed to more typical carrier operations, where the carrier travels to the battle, then launches its fighters (like a Star Destroyer does). So we could simply put out a few smaller Rebel ships (like a Nebulon-B, blockade runner, and smaller Mon Cal ships) to act as repair bases. But only the Imperial side will actually dock within a carrier bay. I don't know if this is an acceptable solution, but it's an idea.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11327 by MajorTom
Thats a good idea actually. Why shouldn't the Imps be the only one to dock in a bay for repairs and thus have something unique that the Rebels don't have?

The only issue would be, how would you explain the repair if it is done in open space outside the ship. Normally I would envision the Repair as a bunch of technicians and droids running around the ship and replacing parts, welding stuff back together ect. (It happens of course very fast like a pit stop during a F1 race.)

Maybe we could put some kind of (animated) glow effect on the "Maintenance" ship that looks like an extended bay, and trigger that when a fighter is docked?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11624 by Second Chance

The only issue would be, how would you explain the repair if it is done in open space outside the ship.

Isn't this how the CUVs work? I asked myself the same question about their operations. But if nobody minds the CUVs then it shouldn't be a problem.

However, I'm going to start trying to make a Mon Cal ship. So it may not be necassary to do it outside anyway. Wish me luck.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11634 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic What about the new SD model?
The Mon Cal ship really seems like a lot of curves to me. Given the poor reference material, I'd think you'd have a great deal of leeway in modeling it. Who'd notice if it's not exact?

I don't recall seeing it in the movies. I guess I wasn't paying attention. But the few ref pics I've seen look cool. (Though it looks a little out of place in the SW universe. It seems to adapt the starship style popular in the early 70's).

Good luck on it anyway. I'm sure it will be great.