What about the new SD model?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10390 by Second Chance
Sure thing. I'll do it now.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10396 by MajorTom
Thanks, got it,

I'll put it in the game on a new map asap!

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10402 by Second Chance
The Star Destroyer mesh is finally finished! :) Check it out at my website. You can jump straight to it using the links at the top of the Star Destroyer page.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10404 by MajorTom
Great work SC!

We've got the SD mock up on the map now and it's working properly. It also helped solve a mystery. (see the docking issues thread)

The docking autopilot does have trouble to find the opening, but if you fly your ship inside the docking bay before you press F8 all ships dock perfectly.
However, if you're not in a good position the autopilot may back off and then not find the bay again (or at least need many attempts to finaly get there)
Now that the docking issue is solved, we should concentrate on getting the ships to dock in the SD without delay too:

It might help to put a cutout in the collision hull above the docking bay and just put texture there?
That would however negate the effect that a SD can shield a docked player if he is attacked while docked.
Another solution might be to make the bay opening much larger in the lower Hull structure, and just put textures there to cover the gap? You probably wouldn't notice if your ship slipped through the texture at all.

I guess we'll have to try out a couple of different things to get it just right?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10418 by Second Chance
This is all very confusing. The docking autopilot has no trouble doing anything on my machine. Could there be a problem with the mod code somehow? All these problems your talking about don't exist for me, so I'm not sure why they're even an issue.

I've flown at the SD mock-up from every angle and at every speed, and my ships dock inside the bay from anywhere (above, below, behind, etc.) within 5 - 7 seconds. I've done this with a variety of ships. I don't know why you're having problems.

I'm going to go look at the docking issues thread now to see what mystery you've solved. Be back shortly. . .

. . . I'm back. Congratulations on catching the "dork force" issue.

Of course, I still don't have this problem no matter how my two ships are oriented. So I still suspect a code problem of some sort.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10426 by MajorTom
Hmm, I haven't tried the SD in a SP scenario, so I dunno.

The docking issue never cropped up in any mp games before, even with the truck (Pioneer) which is a very little ship by EOC standards.
The issue has become really noticable with the tiny SW ships we have, but that doesn't mean the reason is directly related to the docking event.

I think we can safely say there is no code problem in the MP scripts because they don't have anything to do with the docking process: They only deal with the dock event. i.e after docking has happened.

The iMultiplay.dll intercepts the event message from the client engine and I wouldn't suspect a problem there either. (If there is one we'll have to live with it because it is hardcoded.)

My guess is a size distortion. I've always noticed that the sizes in MP seem to be different in comparison to the SP game. i.e, I think iMultiplay makes the objects smaller somehow. I thought this may have been simply a difference in focal length of the cameras, but I'm beginning to think it's something else. (It may change sizes in relationship to the objects scene or collision hull dimensions somehow?)

If size isn't the issue directly it could be that iMultiplay and the netcode uses 8 bit floats thus reducing accuracy. That compounded with the little SW ships and the minimal distance between thier nulls could ....

I'll upload the newest dev version later today, so you can look at the SD in the MP game and compare it with the visual impression you get in the SP game.