Cockpit models

More
19 years 11 months ago #18108 by Second Chance
Cockpit models was created by Second Chance
I've just had a chat with SimonDR over at the Buda5 forums and looked at the starfury cockpit model (I don't know if Simon is the creator, though). The cockpit models look incredibly easy to do. In fact, I'm really surprised that there aren't tons of cockpit mods out there. There are a few issues that need to be cleared up though. As I suspected, the scale the cockpit is modeled at is not the same scale as the ships. My guess is that the starfury cockpit is roughly 200% larger than it should be. This may be a throwback to an earlier scale used during EoC developement (we know several of the original ships disagree in scale), or it may just be to make the cockpit fit better with the internal camera FOV. My FOV setting (which I feel to be more accurate) loses almost the entire cockpit model around the edges of the screen (because now the cockpit is too big).

Overall, I don't think there should be any problems with using custom cockpit models.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10223 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models
The starfury cockpit may be larger, but it fits perfectly!
My guess is that the model is adjusted to the fov.

Just look at the function in the current dev. version, and you'll see.
(I hope you haven't changed the fov in your flux for the SW mod!!?)

Overall, I don't think there should be any problems with using custom cockpit models.

using them isn't the problem, as you can see in the dev version. Getting some to use is the problem :D

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 11 months ago #10224 by MajorTom
The script for the cockpit switch works by attaching the cockpit as a subsim to the crew null position.

When you have "attached" the starfury cockpit to the ship, using the mod dev version, you can see it's outlines faintly, if you do an an outside view of your ship with F3.

If you want to try out your own different cockpit versions just put them in the avatar folder in a folder named "starfury_cockpit".
Then the script will use you cockpit version when it switches.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10225 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Just had another response from Simon, apparently the size of the model and position in the LW scene was determined by trial and error. But fortunately he sent me the original LW model and setup scene, so we have a template to work with.

As an added note, the cockpit setup is like any other in the game. So if we were so inclined, or could think of something cool to do, there isn't any reason we couldn't add animation to it. (*Thinks of Luke's retractable bombsight in the X-Wing*[}:)])

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10276 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

As an added note, the cockpit setup is like any other in the game. So if we were so inclined, or could think of something cool to do, there isn't any reason we couldn't add animation to it. (*Thinks of Luke's retractable bombsight in the X-Wing*[}:)])

Great job on digging out the info!

It would be cool to animate something like that! We could for example have pog activate the zoom at the same time as the animation is done.

Is there some way to move the view around via an animation (left, right or up, down) once you are in the cockpit?

I tried to change the orientation of the cockpit sim in the test model but, no luck. If you deviate from the straight ahead orientation by more than a couple of degrees, or try to move the cockpit away from the exact position of the crew null, it (the cockpit) just disappears.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10288 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models

Is there some way to move the view around via an animation (left, right or up, down) once you are in the cockpit?

That would be truly awsome! [}:)]

But sadly, I don't think it's possible. You could move the cockpit around the view, but you can't move the view around the cockpit. [V]

My guess is that the pilot's actual eyeball line-of-sight view of the scene must be static, or it would screw with everything. For instance, look at the difference between the first F1 view and the second F1 view. They're both exactly the same right? Just one's with the cockpit model and one's without. Wrong. The first view has a snapback feature that the second doesn't. Watch when you rotate in any direction. Say we pitch up really hard. In the first view, when you let go of the controls, the cockpit slides back up to meet the view; but, the line-of-sight view also slides back down to meet the cockpit. In the second view, when the ship stops pitching, the line of sight stops moving. There is no snapback because there's nothing to meet. So those two views, although similar, don't work the same way. I don't really know what my point is [:I], but it is an observation I've made. Does it help us? Who knows. :p