Cockpit models

More
19 years 9 months ago #11116 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Wow. Nice job troubleshooting. And cool about the added bot benefits. All this client/server performance MP stuff fascinates me.

Ok, so you say fewer/smaller struts mean higher performance. Can you elaborate a little? Are we talking lower polycounts, how much of the screen is covered by the model, or what? Or do we know? Duh, I guess that's the point of the tests, huh? [:I]

I ask because it's possible to make most of the rebel cockpit that covers the screen out of only 1 or 2 polys. But if it's not the count, then that doesn't help us. Is there any more info, at all?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11118 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models
I dunno to be honest. [:I]

Less polys or less texture or what?

The cockpits moves more or less constantly (sway) within your immediate view and is right up close to you simular to when you are close to a large model like a station or capital ship.
I think less (of whatever) is better. ;)
I assume reflections, size of the object (struts ect.) and lights have an influence though I don't know to what extent. Mabe the sum of all surface area? (is that the poly count?)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11119 by Second Chance
You just hit the nail on the head. It's the textures. The smaller the texture, the better the performance. Hmm, maybe I'll make the cockpits out of many smaller textures. That might help quite a bit.

Oh, and of course any fx are going to cause a performance hit. So instead of using lights, I'll see about embedding the cockpit lighting into the texture as glows. So the cockpit will get very dark when you face away from sunlight, but all the little buttons and knobs will still be lit up like they should be.

Oh wait! Even better idea! I could give the whole cockpit structure a barely perceptible glow that would make it look lit up in the dark, but you wouldn't notice it in the light. Since it's built into the texture, it doesn't require any fx from flux. How's that sound?

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11141 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

So instead of using lights, I'll see about embedding the cockpit lighting into the texture as glows. [...]
I could give the whole cockpit structure a barely perceptible glow that would make it look lit up in the dark, but you wouldn't notice it in the light. Since it's built into the texture, it doesn't require any fx from flux. How's that sound?

Sounds good! I'm looking forward seeing that.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 9 months ago #11186 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models
The luminous lighting would be really cool. [8D] Some fighter craft have that as a hud. I am looking forward to seeing it too!

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 6 months ago #11864 by Second Chance
Good news! TheJester (Inamo) said the first cockpit mesh could be ready by monday, November 1. He said it depends on how well he does with it this weekend. So if not monday, then saturday.