Cockpit models

More
19 years 9 months ago #10934 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Hmm, good question. Tell you what, why don't you come up with a list of model priorities and Hot4 and I will work out what we can get done the fastest for you. I'm starting to think though that getting another, even experienced, modeler from outside the community might be more trouble than benefit. Is Roi's team busy right now? A Buda5 modeler would be just what the doctor ordered, experienced with LW and EoC. For Hot4 this is a learning experience, so we can't really ask him for speed. Maybe Shane might want to take on some of the light work? I'll ask him.

Hmm, I just had a thought. What about that guy who made those new pointy-nosed cutters? He looked like he had some talent. Should I ask him if he wants to join us?

Interesting observation about the perspective, btw. I look forward to seeing those pics.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10942 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

Is Roi's team busy right now? A Buda5 modeler would be just what the doctor ordered, experienced with LW and EoC.

Jep, unfortunately. Otherwise we had all models we wished already. ;) (on his good days Logic released one complete model including sounds/week)
Seriously: I asked our two main modellers per Email already several times to take part of this mod but both have no time (both are working away from home).

Btw, very nice done MajTom!

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 9 months ago #10948 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

This will likely not work with most models. Good thought though.

Hooray!! It did work [^]

There is absolutly nothing to stop us from having a custom cockpit on every model. (including cockpit sway and without the docked icon flashing)
There are no pictures to post because you simply don't see the cockpit from the outside anymore!

To get this I scaled the cockpit as shown:

Original:

LoadObject Objects_IW2\RTO_Effects\RTCockpit\RTO\cockpit4_t.lwo
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
0 -0.8225 1.8823 0 0 0 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
LockedChannels 43
ShadowOptions 7

Now:

LoadObject Objects_IW2\RTO_Effects\RTCockpit\RTO\cockpit4_t.lwo
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
0 -0.3225 1.0823 0 0 0 0.5 0.5 0.5
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
LockedChannels 43
ShadowOptions 7

That makes the cockpit 1/2 sized and moves it back towards the crew null as well as up a little higher

Then by carefully moving the crew null position on each model it was possible to hide the cockpit inside the avatar of the model (!) on every model we have (!)

I did the same with the Starfury cockpit but scaled it's size to 0.4

For now, The 2 Ties have the starfury cockpit and the Rebel ships all have the original. We can change them as soon as you have the cockpits done.

You can perhaps use the starfury cockpit as a template at 0.4 times the original size to make other cockpits?

The next dev version will have all the files set up for the custom cockpits so you can see it in detail. It'll be uploaded tomorrow

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10953 by Second Chance
That's great, but it seems like wasted work. I would've just modeled the cockpits at the right size for each ship to begin with, meaning that they would've fit inside their proper positions in the hull anyway. I feel it's very important for the crew nulls to be properly placed because it affects the way the player view moves. For example; on the Millennium Falcon the crew null is placed way off to the side of center, affecting how the cockpit view moves around the ships rotation. Most of the ships have the crew null placed above center, like the B-Wing. This also affects how the player sees things coming at him. For example; if the B-Wing's crew null were placed in the center, anything coming towards the cockpit (like weapon blasts or other solid objects) would appear to pass far above the ship, but it would in fact slam right into it. That affects how you fly your ship.

But anyway, nevermind. That's great that you got that working.

btw - I meant that it would likely not work with all models without scaling the cockpit (for obvious reasons).

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10954 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models
You're quite right about the position of the crew null. I understand your concern and am aware of this aspect.
Don't worry, since you did such a great job placing them it was only necessary to move them minimally.
The Crew null on both Ties for example was at 0 0 0. It is now at 0 0.335 -0.35. None of the models required more of an adjustment than 0.5 units (meters?) On the B-Wing it is only moved back into the pod a bit.

The main objective was to make sure the concept would work on all the ships, including cockpit sway, ect. Since you have so much to do, I just went ahead and tried it out so we could be sure it was worthwhile to do the cockpit modeling work

When you have the cockpit models done, we can move the nulls back to thier original positions easily enough. We still have the original .lws files. ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10959 by Second Chance
Yes, you are correct, meters are the units in question.

Ok, sounds like you've got everything well in hand. The Star Destroyer is essentially finished, but I can't test it until I can deactivate the SW mod.

I must say, I am truly astonished at how LW optimizes the polycount. The SD was something like 6 sections totalling about 12,000 polys when I exported it. Now it's down to 2 sections of 800 polys each. Amazing.