Cockpit models

More
19 years 10 months ago #10962 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

I must say, I am truly astonished at how LW optimizes the polycount. The SD was something like 6 sections totalling about 12,000 polys when I exported it. Now it's down to 2 sections of 800 polys each. Amazing.

Cool, I can't wait to see it!
I'm working like crazy on the docking issue so the model will be fully functional as we need/want it. Don't for get to put a couple of nicely placed nulls on it for turrets.

Tell you what, why don't you come up with a list of model priorities and Hot4 and I will work out what we can get done the fastest for you.

On the cockpits I think we would need the Tie cockpit first, The rebel ships can wait a while. I guess we could use the original cockpit on the B-Wing (and maybe the A-Wing too)? The X-Wing cockpit shopuld be something special? I'll leave that up to you modeling guys ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10971 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Sounds good. I did want to bring one thing to everyone's attention though. The Rebel-type cockpits aren't like the Imperial ones. The Tie Fighters are designed to look out the front (like the game view). But since the Rebel ships are more aircraft-like they have cockpit structures that give great visibility out the top, but would block the view through the lower half of the screen out the front. This gives them better overall visibility in a real cockpit, but obviously the effect isn't the same in a game.

So, does anyone have a problem with this? Or an alternative cockpit design?

I could probably minimize this problem and limit it to the bottom third or so of the view being blocked by cockpit structure. Is this enough for you guys, or do we need to find another way?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10976 by MajorTom
I guess you'll have to try it out and see.

Unfortunatly we can't rotate the cockpit view like in other games (XWA, Tachyon ect.) So, a cockpit thats more open at the top isn't much use to us in EOC as far as seeing anything since you can't look "up".

Target icons shine through the cockpit structure (on the original and the Starfury cockpit) I dunno if that would look odd if the bottom 1/3 is structure, but you can still see the icons through it?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10980 by Second Chance
Well, I think the assumption is that, even in SW, they use some kind of helmet mounted HUD. Otherwise, all the displayed info would move with the cockpit sway, since the info obviously isn't displayed on mounted instruments. (It's shown to be "head" mounted for EoC in the movies.)

I think it's a pretty small jump for SW fans to accept.

Personally, I'd be glad to have the target icon show over the cockpit structure rather than lose the target as it went below the cockpit horizon. So it works for me.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10997 by MajorTom
Sorry men, We can't use the Subsim method for cockpits.

It causes too much of a preformance hit! It even causes your game to crash sometimes.

During the initial tests I was on the different maps with only one bot for concept testing.

When playing with 8 bots I had numerous crashes and the frame rates dropped considerably! Flying the Tie, using the Starfury cockpit it was worse than with the original. Thats because the Starfury cockpit is lighted a lot more than the original and thus takes up more graphic power.

We're back at square 1. There is no way to have ship specific cockpits I can think of!

More
19 years 10 months ago #11004 by Second Chance
Bummer. [xx(]

Oh well, it was a good try. And at least you figured out how it could be done at all. [8D]