Cockpit models

More
19 years 10 months ago #11008 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by MajorTom

Thats because the Starfury cockpit is lighted a lot more than the original and thus takes up more graphic power.

But why does the game working fine when the StarFury Cockpit replaces the normal cockpit and isn't used as a subsim?

If the subsim needs more performance power why don't just decrease the cockpit quality so we have at least different low quali cockpits for each ship?
(btw, if it comes to this and we have to do performance tests, I would be able to do some for ATI cards: I have available an Athlon 1000C Thunderbird, an AthlonXP 2600+ and an Athlon64 3400+ running together with ATI Radeon 9600Pro and 9700/Pro. But only in case we'll need such test b/c they also takes some time.)

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #11065 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

Bummer. [xx(]

Oh well, it was a good try. And at least you figured out how it could be done at all. [8D]

Hi,

Just a quick update from my "vacation" to let you know: We can have ship specific cockpits in the MP game. [^] [8D]

So, you guys can get to work making them too. :D

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #11066 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Incredible. All the new models in the world don't mean anything if you can't use them the way you want to. MajorTom, you are a true hero of the community. Nice job. :)

I can't wait to hear how you overcame the problem.

btw - I hope you're having a nice, relaxing time off. Enjoy.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #11069 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Cockpit models
Great!
So I'm hoping SC will create the best cockpits ever. :)

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #11070 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Cockpit models
Well I'll certainly try. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #11112 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cockpit models

Originally posted by Second Chance

I can't wait to hear how you overcame the problem.

a) You can minimize the preformance hit by removing all the properties in the icTurret .ini file except the dummy bolt.

b) The bots now have thier own ship ini files with no cockpit.
(which has some other good effects too, as you can now change other properties/ weapons on the bots ships easier)

c) The cockpit is only on each players ship on his own client instance of the game. i.e your client doesn't have to bother with creating/rendering the cockpit thats on other players ships.

Therefore the preformance hit is still there minimally but it only effects the each player specifically and not the game preformance as a whole.

Edit: We do need some cockpit models soon to test because the cockpit design also effects preformance. Less/smaller struts, lights and reflexions mean higher preformance.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site