Damage Mod for Traffic

More
17 years 6 months ago #15565 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
Actually with the described design, a system with 10% and a system with 0% are basically the same. In both cases, the Auto repair cannot fix the system, and the system will not be functioning. A repair ship will be needed to get the subsytem back into operation. The repair ship will use a spare part from the player inventory to fix the ship.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15566 by Bozobub
Replied by Bozobub on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
Then why, pray tell, not make the lower threshold 0% (or 1% if 0% makes it "disappear")? Why 10%? If you never use the lower 10%, you've just changed the range so that 10% IS 0%...

More
17 years 6 months ago #15568 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
Perhaps the difference between 10% and 0% is the possibility for repair. A system at 10% has some hope. One at 0% is junk and needs to be yanked, tossed out the airlock, and completely replaced with a new one. Spare parts won't help it.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15571 by Bozobub
Replied by Bozobub on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
Um, that's what I was actually asking - it makes sense - but GrandpaTrout's response above has me unsure if that's the case. ;8>.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15573 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
Ah, yes, I see now that is almost exactly what you stated earlier. Sorry. I defer to GT for the wise (and more clearly stated) response.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15574 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Damage Mod for Traffic
I can't really claim wise ;)

I was just trying to explain this design idea. And your right, it would be nice to have "truly" junked systems that had to be pulled out and replaced. The "unstated elephant in the room" is that I don't want to have to write a loadout system for AI ships. And if subsystems are totally junked, then that is what will need to be written. This design lets us implement damage mod, get 90% of the features, without commiting to writing loadout. We are just rather short on programming staff.