Jump tunnels?

More
17 years 7 months ago #18856 by JT
Jump tunnels? was created by JT
GT's latest post actually made me wonder what the real motivation behind the interactive player-flown "witchspace" system was added for in the first place. Are different jumps more difficult than others to navigate?

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago #15462 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Jump tunnels?
In short - yes. :)

More
17 years 7 months ago #15463 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Jump tunnels?
The basic idea was to create a player challenge that was not combat oriented. If you are exploring new star systems, it seems odd to find dozens of pirates to fight. Without the pirates, there are no challenges, so most games have unnatural levels of hostile ships racing killing everything that moves.

More
17 years 7 months ago #15464 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Jump tunnels?
I'm just noticing that my grammar above was appalling. Care don't I, we'll results see hopefully soon.

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to trying it out. =)

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15570 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Jump tunnels?
btw, just wanted to say the the capsule space jump sim clip on the TS site was drool-tastic. It makes me really feeli like this game is going entirely new places, and beyond the next level. Question: What happens to cause damage while traversing an unstable jump? Is it running into the glowy light things, or not making a turn properly and hitting the wall of the tunnel? Or both? What happens when you get enough damage to die while in capsule space? Is there a cool new deathscript that shows your vessel "de-rezzing" in C-space a la Tron? Does it fade into nothingness like a TARDIS leaving? Or does it just go ka-boom in a ball of flame, but inside the C-space tunnel?

More
17 years 6 months ago #15575 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Jump tunnels?
Interesting ideas there Hot4, though I have never actually contemplated them. I believe however, that the instant your ship touchs the walls of the tunnel, it collapses the jump tunnel. The walls of the tunnel are actually the walls of the whole universe, while the little bubble around the ship (which you can't see in the clip I posted) is the actual capsule bubble created by the ship. The only damage a ship could receive would be the collapse of the jump bubble or tunnel. And at that point the player would be back in normal space. I have actually been destroyed when crashing in a dangerous capsule tunnel. I appeared in real space with my ship already exploding.

We still need a good explanation for those lights. We added them because they are kindof, well canon. I liked the explanation that was posted by JT yesterday. Just might have to add that into the library files...