MiddleStates 7.1 bug reports

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12924 by GrandpaTrout
That is very odd, because I run the high poly planets mod also. When you did your reinstall, did you erase the directory completly? I have been bitten badly because during development I chose to move a files location. But the old file was still in place in the mods directory. So it was random chance which one actually loaded. Really painful to find weeks later after you have forgotten what you did.

[Edit]
I did a clean install of my game to try to reduplicate, and it works just fine. (It is clear that my play disk has gotten dirty, because my movies stutter. They were on drive before).

Here is what I did:
I started the uninstall program. I selected "custom uninstall".
On every screen you are prompted to select what you want deleted. Always choose "Select All". This is going to wipe out every registry entry and the directory. (so save anything important).

Once everything is gone, reboot.

Insert the Install disk.
Install the game. (I did not install game spy).

Start the game, and then start a new game. (this forces the creation of any special data files we don't know about). Watch some movies and then listen to Clay's comforting words while you pilot the Comsec. Quit.

(Often at this point, you would unzip the resources directory. Don't.)

Install the 1.14 patch. (I never patch without having first run the game, because that often never tested).

Start the game again. Skip the movies. Wait till your in space. Quit.
This forces any engine and file updates from the patch to take effect.

Download the Epic files just as I have placed them (just in case there are differences with the ones you have).
Install them to mods.
Start the game. You should be fine.

Now unzip the resources directory, but not inside your EoC home. The reason is that it is nice to be able to read the files, but it totally kills your load times. I am finding loads far faster. I wish I had tried this before!

Let me know if you still have problems. I am off to try the high poly planets and install your intro movies.

[Edit2]
Installed the movies and the planets. Everything still works. Don't know what to say. Keep us posted if the problem keeps happening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12928 by cambragol
Okay....I just tried to run the game from the old non-working install and...it worked. The exact same directory, with no changes whatsoever, was not working yesterday. Now it is. Odd. Don't know what to say. I will blame Microsoft.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12931 by Qlippoth
Could it have been bad data in the default.ini (or your own personal control config)? Or did you make changes to Flux.ini?

- Qlippoth

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12935 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic MiddleStates 7.1 bug reports
Seems ok for me. I even have it starting from my custom epic_joco scenario starting code. :)

More
19 years 1 week ago #12942 by GrandpaTrout
Good! Glad pieces are working. Hang onto that Scenario start code, Joco, I expect we will need that for when we want to replace all the traffic in the game.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12949 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic MiddleStates 7.1 bug reports
You may be interested to know that all the PS traffic is running from my scenario - which is NEW. Under the normal PS system when starting a scenario traffic is not about unless explicitly started. SO the EPIC code base must be starting up traffic somewhere. I plan to find out where cose I need to clobber that behaviour. I need empty space for Traffic prototyping. :D

Oh - yes, about to start my first code write dealing with player bubble handling. YIKES!