Joystick recommendations

More
19 years 11 months ago #18048 by Demiurgo
Hello everybody

I've been out for a long time but i'm back again to this marvelous game and Community :D. Since I finished the EoC campaign i played i bit using multiple mods (Station assault, iFleet...) but due to my poor machine performance the game run creepy slow so i finished uninstalling it.

Now i've got my new PC and i'm plannig to re-play the whole game using Elite this Summer, and a couple of new mods you have made :D

Also now I have a little money and i'm plannig buying a joystick, so i ask you Masters of Knowledge about some data.

Is really interesant the ForceFeedback or similars technology in EoC and other games?

Which is the most vital point in a joystick? Accuracy, number of controls and buttons, texture, comfort, other...

Which joysticks fo you recommend?

Personally i like Saitek joysticks but actually i don't decide in which of them i would spend my money.

Thanks guys! [|)]

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9761 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Joystick recommendations
A minimum requirement would be a twist function (Z-Rotation) so you can twist the stick to roll your ship. A hat switch is very usefull too

You would probably really enjoy a force feedback stick because it gives you a very good feel for the game. (you even feel it when countermeasures are fired)

I have a M$ sidewinder but a Saitek is probably just as good and even better if you are a "lefty"

btw: in EOC you can also play with 2 joysticks (one for each hand) or some other second controller like a "strategic commander" or foot pedels for example. The second controller should be without force feedback, and you don't need the Z-Rotation on it.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 11 months ago #9762 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Joystick recommendations
I use the Saitek Cyborg gold. It's quite dated now but has everything (bar force feedback) including modifications you can make for left hand use.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9766 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic Joystick recommendations
But how does ForceFeedback feel?

Its a system that makes you "opposing force" to the direction you are trying to move the joystick or its simply a "shaking" when you are hit, you fire or you throw countermeasures? That's what "they" dont explain in the Joysticks back cover [xx(]

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
19 years 11 months ago #9767 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Joystick recommendations
It's more of a 'wild-shaking' in LDS. When firing a missile it kicks back.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 11 months ago #9768 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Joystick recommendations

Originally posted by Demiurgo

But how does ForceFeedback feel?

Its a system that makes you "opposing force" to the direction you are trying to move the joystick or its simply a "shaking" when you are hit, you fire or you throw countermeasures? That's what "they" dont explain in the Joysticks back cover [xx(]

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

They don't put it on the box because it depends on how (good) the game engine uses the force feedback functions.
In EOC you feel an "opposing force" when you turn your ship. Thats also dependent (to some degree) on the mass of the ship you are piloting. A Corvette actually feels "heavier" than a Patcom.

When you fire a missile you feel a little kickback in the stick. That function is linked (via the game engine) to a missile launch. Since countermeasures are missiles, you also feel the kickback when they are launched regardless if you launch them yourself or they are launched automatically.
The LDS effect as Shane described, happens because the game "wants" it to be like that when you are in LDS. (it could just as well be a different knocking or vibration effect if the engine was programmed differently)

In Eoc you also feel a little kickback when you fire a primary weapon. That "feel" is a bit different than the missile kickback.
You can, to a certain extent actually "fly by feel" in EOC. Forcefeedback improves the game experience remarkably.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site