Outlaw Star (in regards to an old post)

More
17 years 10 months ago #15221 by gwzero
um, I was talking about the surfaces in lightwave. I never use the export to 5.6 feature because of small flaws in it. At this point I just use it to check null-points, but I would like to be able to see the entire ship while using it.

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #15222 by Vali
Ok! Somebody please send me a 3ds format ship (any thig: comsec, patcom, corvette etc.)
For all I know the UVs (yes I was wrong) get exported into 3ds format and it is not an added attribute.
Also by loking at the other ship textures I don’t think that edited UV are not useable. If they weren’t Second Chance wouldn’t have boded to send me the Chiliskinner.

It works mainly by attributing the UV coordinates to another identical set of polygon objects.
Think at it this way:
1)break the model into separate approximately flat sections
2)clone the model
3)rotate the sections until they are all facing up
4)apply a planar map
5)reassemble the model to its original shape and weald the polys (this is what Chiliskinner does)
EDIT
Ops! Double posted! Sorry!

When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
17 years 10 months ago #15224 by Second Chance

Also by loking at the other ship textures I don’t think that edited UV are not useable. If they weren’t Second Chance wouldn’t have boded to send me the Chiliskinner.

No, actually I said several times that neither Lightwave 5 nor EoC will be able to use UV mapped models. I sent you chiliskinner because you kept insisting you were going to UV map your ships anyway, and chiliskinner makes that much easier in Max. I assumed you were doing that to make renders of your textured ships to be used later as textures in Lightwave.

EoC does use UV mapping, but through DirectX and the model conversion, not through Lightwave. Someone is working on a Max direct-to-PSO converter that will take Max UV coordinates. Hopefully it will be finished sometime soon.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
17 years 10 months ago #15236 by gwzero
So.....anything new with this topic yet?

More
17 years 10 months ago #15244 by Vali
Can you give me an estimated time? I mean is it going to de ready in 3 months or a year?

I finished the rear section of the ship. Now for the organic part.

Have you talked with the guys on your forum? Ask them for any redesign feature or ideas for textures.
One would be to make that drill into a pop up missile pod.

Despite the fact that this ship is 240% bigger its guns are still “pea shooters�. I am going to incise the caliber of those guns.

When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
17 years 9 months ago #15272 by gwzero
I think that making the drill into a missle pod would be a little much. Not to mention the insane amount of animations that would be on the overall ship if you did that.

I've come up with an ideas for the turrets. I noticed that you integrated the rear turret with the overall ship, Why dont you completely remove them from the ship and create them seperately. I'd like to be able to have them as mountable weaponry. The complex animations required for the rear turret makes it dificult to have it integrated to the ship (it has to rotate around the ship in order to give it full rear coverage). If you can create a basic ship with just the body, engines, thrusters, missile bays, and animations, I could be able to create the turrets in lightwave (I wanna learn how to model and animate so I better start now and start small)

No, I haven't talked with anyone on "My" forums about redesigns or textures. My website @ newarzone.low-ping.com is mainly a Counter-Strike clansite, so many of it's visiters don't care about EOC (makes you wanna cry doesn't it?). Anyway, I kinda wanted it to be as close to the original outlaw star as possible.