Outlaw Star (in regards to an old post)

More
18 years 1 week ago #18777 by gwzero
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=...rchTerms=outlaw,star

I just finished reading this topic and I would love to try to make either the Outlaw Star or the Swordfish from cowboy bobop for my first attempt at ship modeling.

So what all do I need to get started and where can I get it? I know I need lightwave 5 and photoshop (I got photoshop 6). I'm trying to get a hold of lightwave v5.6 through limewire, but I've only managed to get a hold of lightwave v7.5 so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

<hr noshade size="1">

Smith - "12 assault cannon turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 30+ fighters in 6 bays, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I better add on some more antimatter pbc's."

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #15148 by Vali
I can help you with the actual model if you like. All I need is some photos and time. The only ting is that I’m completely usles when it comes to getting it in the game and creating textures. You can contact me at mailto:vali909@yahoo.com]vali909@yahoo.com

community.webshots.com/photo/404 ... 0636FcGKre

When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

EDIT

vinnie.poned.com/starnet/diagrams.php
Hmm... Tricky but not impossible. I’ll see what I can do.

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
17 years 11 months ago #15150 by gwzero
As long as someone can provide me with the avatars then I think I can do the rest. and if you feel the outlaw star to be too difficult then you can always try doing the swordfish.

www.agfratelli.com/bebe/modelli/ ... age_01.htm

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 assault cannon turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 30+ fighters in 6 bays, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Smith - "You know you're right, I better add on some more antimatter pbc's."

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

More
17 years 11 months ago #15152 by Vali
I never consider ship modeling too hard. Nothing is too hard if you put your mind to it. (Just as long as it is logical of course.)

The only thing that is difficult at this ship is making those weapons pop out when you select them and those arms. I may be out of date but if I recall you cannot animate a ship. The only animation possible at this ship is getting those tail fins to rotate and also the engines to rotate (is they are supposed to rotate of course). It is possible but I don’t know how to do it. Second Chance or Shane might know.

P.S. >>> If anybody can translate the righting on that plan or have more images of the ship they might be very useful.

When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
17 years 11 months ago #15154 by Second Chance
Hmm, interesting ship. It has a lot of compound curves, so watch your polys. But as the Mon Cal cruiser I made shows; highly curvy, organic-shaped ships can be done for EoC.

Anyway. Yes, you can custom animate an avatar (the X-wing and B-wing fighter wings, for example). But it requires an associated Pog script for it to work. Also, the animation only happens when the player actually looks at the avatar, not necessarily when the animation is actually called. For instance, an issue we have with the fighter wing animations is that even after the script is called (during transition of the s-foils to "attack position"), the wings don't actually move until the player sees the ship. This is not necessarily a problem for the stock game because most of the animations are just miscellaneous engine movements or thruster firings, to add interest to the scene. Or, for important animations like the biobomber doors, the camera is forced to view the animation at the appropriate time.

One solution we've been working with for the player ship is to force an external view of the player's ship when the script is called. This way the player camera is watching, and the animation happens. The player then has to manually re-enter the cockpit view.

Let me know if you want an explanation on how to do the model animation.

Major Tom can explain how to code the animation script.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
17 years 11 months ago #15156 by gwzero
Actually I dont think you can do anything with the arms. It would be way to complicated to add working grampler arms to the ship. As for thruster animations, the four outer pods should coventional engines and the center blades on the rear should be the lds and the blades should spin when lds is activated (if its possible for that to be done) with the middle blade spinning the opposite direction to the outer blades.

I may not be able to translate the actual schematics writing but I can give you a good idea of what each item is and its purpose, so I'll get it on that right away.