Outlaw Star (in regards to an old post)

More
17 years 11 months ago #15208 by Vali
Yea, in 3dsmax Z+ is forward and Y+ in up.
Finals going along fine, thanks for asking:D, and the hard part is allover.How are yours coming along?[?]?

Use those flames I sent you to make a more interesting texture.
If any modifications to a model affect the null points then don’t touch the engines. I’ve started work on them this night. I hope that we can get this ship done before September. Anyway in summer I’ll have all the free time I need.
I was also thinking of getting another ship of mine in, The Iron Wolf. It needs a few more final touches but it has no texture. Half the ship is already optimized for texturing.

Godspeed to us!
When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #15209 by gwzero
Mine are going ok, although Cisco is kicking my butt, But what can ya do. I

Unfortunatly I still dont know how to use lightwave to it's fullest, I mainly just use it for confirming null placements. So any kind of texturing on my part is out of the question at this point. And changing the model wont effect the nullpoints that that much, The null points are seperate from the avatar/model, and they just tell flux where to put systems. If I wanted to I could put all but the weapons and crew at the very center of the ship. But where's the fun in that!

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

More
17 years 11 months ago #15216 by Vali
I can’t use Max to its fullest either, for now!
What or who exactly is Cisco?

I can create templates or UW maps. This shows you were every poly gets its texture from. All you need to do is add the image to a material in LightWave. Second Chance or Shane can help you more than me.

When a boss says “Go!� the leader says “Let’s move out!�

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
17 years 11 months ago #15217 by Shane
It takes anywhere from a year to three years to become completely comfortable with an application like Lightwave. I've been at it for about three years... and there's still controls I've never used.

Originally posted by Vali
I can create templates or UW maps. This shows you were every poly gets its texture from. All you need to do is add the image to a material in LightWave.

I'm not sure if 'UW' is a typo or a specialized texture method in Max, but if you're talking about Lightwave, then you probably mean UV maps.

UV mapping is a wonderful, easy method of making textures... which sadly does not work at all for Flux or EoC modding. UV mapping did not exist during EoC's production phase, so don't waste your time building them.

What you'll need to know for EoC modding are the basic texture projection methods. Planar and cylindrical projections are typically the only ones you'll need. I've yet to find a good use for spherical mapping.

There is far too much info to cover in a reply, but dozens of free tutorials litter the web about this very subject. All you have to do is Google them. Here's two good ones to get you started:

www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/

www.newtek.com/products/lightwav ... index.html

Also, if you do not have Lightwave version 5.6 (other versions won't do) then you will have to do some fancy footwork to get the textures in-game. SecondChance might be able to help more in this area. (In fact, I believe there's a thread on this somewhere.)

Good luck. :)

More
17 years 11 months ago #15218 by gwzero

Originally posted by Vali

What or who exactly is Cisco?

It's a class over things like routers, switches, and other networking equipment. It also covers the setting up of networks.

You dont have to have lightwave 5.6 for it to work with the game, many of the later versions have an "export to lightwave 5.6" feature built-in. It works great except that when you're changing .ini files it sometimes changes the factors a little, but otherwise it works. I have LW 7 and I dont have any complants with it.

One last thing, I can get many of the avatars to show up, but I just cant get the surface itself to show up. The most I ever get is the shaded colors. Any suggestions or tips that could help?

More
17 years 11 months ago #15220 by Shane
There is an export to 5.6 feature, and it strips the texture information from the model during the conversion process. This is due to the change in the methods LW 6.0 utilized to handled textures. There is no known workaround except to re-apply the textures.

But if you've got a handle on it, then good for you.

Good luck.