Movies playing in HUD cause game to pause

More
21 years 1 month ago #5300 by MajorTom
Does anyone have this problem who does not have a Sound blaster sound card?

I had this problem once when I installed a Soundblaster Audigy Player and the installation routine "insisted" on installing WDM sound drivers to my WinMe. ( I think WDM is standard for XP?)

I thought it was the Audigy card and replaced it with my old 5.1 live. After Format C:, re-installing WinME, and using the correct sound card drivers the problem was gone.

Maybe some food for thought?

EOC/IWar2 Multiplayer Fansite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 1 month ago #5305 by wizz0bang
I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz on XP. So you are saying you had the problem after (not before) you installed an Audigy on your ME system? When you removed the Audigy (and it's media codecs/software) and did a clean install with a SB5.1 you no longer experienced the problem. That would support Mr. Roberts theory that it's Codec related.... the WDM stuff is AFAIK standard with XP out of the box (you definitely get it when you upgrade Media Player). I may just find my old 98 disk and do a dual boot just for this game :) I had a quad boot at one time... 98SE, 2000, Red Had, Slackware. Since getting XP I haven't looked back at any other OS (except nostalgically at DOS and Linux).

More
21 years 1 month ago #5311 by MajorTom
yes, Thats more or less what I meant.
Actually, its more like this:
I didn't have the problem on my old PIII 933 PC with onboard sound. Then I got a SB5.1 and the problem showed up. I got the annoyance down to an acceptable level by messing with the codecs, and using the DX 8.0 coupler to set the sound debugging level down to 0.
Then I got a new PC system AMD 1800, The SB5.1 worked fine on that, no problems at all. Then I upgraded to a AMD 2100+ got the Audigy and the story continued as described above.

note to astonished self: My god, I've been playing this game for years now and have even replaced, or rebuilt my system 3 times meanwhile.

wizz0bang, It would be worth the effort of setting up a dual boot if you knew that it would solve the problem, but obviously, no one can say for sure. Some feeling says to me it's not just the codecs, but who knows.

EOC/IWar2 Multiplayer Fansite

More
21 years 1 month ago #5320 by shazam
Hi guys !
Got the following issue :
After installing the game and going to "action", everything works fine...
When leaving to Windows and coming back to I-war 2 and "action", once loaded, the game hangs up...
I'm sure it's about sound because when I disable sound in flux.ini, all (but sound) is OK !
So we're back to codecs : I've tried each and every tip found in the forum, but no way !
Now my question to you is why does it work on the fist time and then no more ???

More
21 years 1 month ago #5422 by wizz0bang
I bought Freelancer about a week ago and completed it (17 hours on the game clock!) without experiencing anya udio issues at all. Now I'm back to completing EoC and presently playing without any speech. Anyone find something new about these audio freezes in EoC?

More
21 years 1 month ago #5425 by dominus marlon
Hello... I had this problem that this forum is posting about... And thanks to this forum I started looking for a new fraunhoffer codec... witch I did find. after installing the code the game worked for 4 hours straight without hangups. I now have 2 fraunhower codecs in the Sounds And audio device section; professional and advanced. dont know if having two of these codecs or the right one is the factor but this obviosly is working.
Q: where did i get the codec?
A: "mp3compr.exe" put that in your favourite web searcher and something *will* come up...
download and install, it's should ask you if you want to overwrite the NEW codec with the OLD codec(this comes in the package), I answered YES. (maybe YOU should backup the original, like i didn't =))
The game works, and I am one happy pappy.
Thank you for these postings, otherwise I don't think I'd manage to go through this problem.