Movies playing in HUD cause game to pause

More
21 years 9 months ago #2222 by cathexis
I have the same problem. I've found a fix that, while not being entierly satisfactory, at least makes the problem go away.

As far as I can tell, it is due to an arguement between the winnt audio codec and i-war2. The only way I've found that will solve the problem is to rename the speech directory to something other then speech
ex:
rename "c:\edge of chaos\streams\audio\speech" to "c:\edge of chaos\streams\audio\speech_disabled".

This will have the benefit of making the game not pause any more, but with the detriment of not playing any voices when people talk. It will however still play the animations of them talking, display the text as if they were talking, just no sound (and the little animations are all done in-engine, just the beginning, ending, between-acts-zero-and-one, and the startup/shutdown movies are stored on the cd)

I hope this works

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2241 by Cod
THANK YOU!

I've been mailing Infogrames tech support for almost 2 weeks now, and every suggestion they had didn't work. Is there any way to disable that nt sound codec and still have speech working correctly? I know the voice acting isn't all that great to begin with, but it'd still be nice to have, y'know?

Thanks again!

More
21 years 9 months ago #2262 by Dethread
Hey,

I had the same problem and I fixed it the following way. I remembered that the game used to run beautifully on my Win98 box and I am getting those freeze ups in WinXP now. So I accessed the properties of the EdgeOfChaos.exe (right click -> properties) then chose the Compatibility tab and check the 'Run this program in Compatibility Mode for" and choose Win98/ME from the drop down list.
It's working fine now. Try it yourself...

Dethread

More
21 years 8 months ago #2352 by Spectre-63
Hi all,

dunno whether this is coincidence or not, but I started experiencing the pausing AFTER enabling some of the Mods. I'm going thru and disabling them one-by-one at the moment to try and find the culprit. I KNOW it's not movie/CD related as I've copied the movies to the HDD and updated the Flux.ini to reflect the change. It usually starts part-way thru a mission so it acts sort of like a memory leak. I'm trying to find what the 'correct' version of the MS ADPCM codec IS and where I can check my version.

Thx in advance...

Mike 'Spectre-63' McMahon

System Specs:
Tyan TigerMP w/ 2xAMD 1600MP procs, 768M DDR, 2x40G WD ATA-100 drives, Voodoo5 5500 64M Video, SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer

More
21 years 8 months ago #2497 by Lokivoid
i have this problem aswell on win98
Its not cd related
Driver Related
Mod Related

hell i have tryed everything short of Formating my system and the game used to run just fine

More
21 years 7 months ago #2584 by Francois
Same problem here guys, but i solved it!!!

The problem is MP3 codec related.

I removed the following stuff from my system, and it EOC runs fine again:

Cyberlink PowerDVD
Nimo CODEC Pack
and several DiVX players

Didn't bother to find out what exactly caused the problem, so i recommend you remove all DiVX related stuff, and any 3rd party codec you've installed and try EOC again...

Hope it helps!