Gonna buy IWar2... but MAJOR control problems!!

More
21 years 11 months ago #17367 by Gluegun
Hiya... I'm very strongly considering buying Independence War II...

But one thing will make or break my decision...

I want a specific control scheme. I don't care if I have to hack or do a bunch of stuff to get it, but I want one PARTICULAR control scheme....

that's....

w--accelerate
s--slow, reverse
d--strafe to the right
a--strafe to the left
space--strafe up
shift--strafe down
tab--afterburner, or something close to it
j--engage ldsi
backspace--set speed to 0
mouse1--fire primary
mouse2--fire alternate
mousescroll--change primary weapons

and I want full mouselook

now.... with any patches, hacks, anything, is this basic control scheme possible? I found the controls in the demo to be a VERY big problem for me... and I know that this control scheme works for space combat, i refined it from what I like with FPS and what I like from wing commander, and I found myself wishing I could use it in the Iwar2 demo.... hell, I used it great in descent 3, and had loads of fun...

So, is this doable? If so, how?

"Eep!"

"Eep!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 11 months ago #1649 by ravingpartyking
In THEORY it all ought to be possible, though I'm not sure if the mousewheel bit will work. EoC is not like wing commander though, so to get the most out of it you really will benefit from a joystick with lots of buttons.

Dishonour before Death

Dishonour before Death

More
21 years 11 months ago #1650 by Gluegun
Uh, I've played the demo, and it's basically crying out for this setup, IMO.

Forget the mousewheel... is the other stuff possible? mouselook and keyboard??

How?

"Eep!"

"Eep!"

More
21 years 11 months ago #1654 by Gluegun
What about the mouselook? The full mouselook is more important than anything, IMO... I HATED using the keyboard to look places....

"Eep!"

"Eep!"

More
21 years 11 months ago #1655 by Gluegun
Also, what sort of basic patches and mods should I consider installing immediately after I install the game? Is there anything basic that improves basic gameplay, control, anything?

"Eep!"

"Eep!"

More
21 years 11 months ago #1656 by Zathras
Buy the game, install the game, install F14.6 patch .

Get the keymapper - makes mapping keys easier than editing /configs/default.ini yourself.

Iwar2 doesn't have a cockpit mouselook view like IL2-Sturmovik, but the external views are mouse manipulated. There is a control file on the official site for mouse controlled flight and I think it included firing with the buttons but I'm not sure.

I managed to play through the game once on keyboard when my Joystick died, and the default layout is very good actually. A many-buttoned joystick is great for this game though, especially if it has twist and a POV hat, but you will still need the keyboard for some commands as it is easier to press F8 on the keyboard than on the hat: up right right down down right, heh.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of Space Pirates, for they are subtle and quick to fire their PBC's!

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of Space Pirates, for they are subtle and quick to fire their PBC's!