Old celeron

More
20 years 2 months ago #9016 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic Old celeron
Depends on the motherboard. Check the manufacturers site, but don't get your hopes up. Early implementations of AGP were very poor and just barely met the specifications, or even missed them. My old VIA board was really bad, it wouldn't run a geforce2 at all.

But RAM should help more than AGP4X mode would anyway. 256Mb is what I normaly consider minimum on a windows XP system, so get as much as you can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9117 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Old celeron
DAMN! That´s the oddest thing I´ve ever seen! Just checked out local prizewatch and found out that the prize of Kingston PC-133 128MB SDRAM
has RISEN TWICE since 2002 I bought it! IN THE NAME OF THE GALAXY, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!!!:(!
Think my memory upgrade is cancelled.

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9118 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic Old celeron
SDRAM is obsolete and being phased out. Production for it is being switched over to DDR and RAMBUS, so the supply is diminishing. Therefore its getting more expensive. Same thing happened to EDO RAM when SDRAM came in.

However, it might be worth checking for some second hand RAM, since its more expensive than when bought some people sell it on. If you can't find any localy, ebay has a fair amount.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9139 by Vladimir

Originally posted by andrewas

SDRAM is obsolete and being phased out. Production for it is being switched over to DDR and RAMBUS, so the supply is diminishing. Therefore its getting more expensive. Same thing happened to EDO RAM when SDRAM came in.

However, it might be worth checking for some second hand RAM, since its more expensive than when bought some people sell it on. If you can't find any localy, ebay has a fair amount.

Think you´re right. I asked from my friends but nobody has PC 133 128 MB SDRAM - only 64 MB which is useless to me.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9168 by Vladimir
OK, here´s the latest: Installed Win98se (now I have 2 Windows on one comp. Didn´t even know it`s possible...), no change in I-War2 perfomance: still slows down in high-traffic areas (fps<9). Could it be because of the mods (iFleet; CustomJafs; Freeform; StationSave; crosshair; FutureTrade; Proton PBC; Dreadnought corvette; some tweaks for Devastator and Sheffield; probably some others I can´t recall at the moment (yes, I like tweaking and trying new things)). I remember that using the Baylon5 mod - the one that chages the player base - caused loading times to grow up to 2-3 minutes so could they also reduce fps?

More
20 years 1 month ago #9169 by Vladimir

Originally posted by Vladimir

I remember that using the Baylon5 mod - the one that chages the player base - caused loading times to grow up to 2-3 minutes so could they also reduce fps?

Answering to myself: no, mods don´t cause slowdowns. Try to get rid of WinXP completely and see what happens.