Old celeron

More
20 years 2 months ago #17955 by Vladimir
Old celeron was created by Vladimir
I have a Celeron 566 clocked to 706 MHz, Chaintech mobo w/ via3 chipset, 192 MB SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX400 graphics w/ 64MB RAM, AGP 2x, Windows XP op. system and I get a real slide show near high-traffic areas (<9 fps). Tried to turn graphics down but it won´t help much. Could it be a faulty CPU? Any ideas?[?]

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8916 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Old celeron
192 MB is scraping the bottom of the barrel with WinXP. (if I remember correctly XP needs 192 by itself.) So I don't think it's really the CPU (I think XP has a min requirement of 550 MB for the CPU.)

EOC ran well at about 25-35 FPS on a comparable system I had once, but with 256 MB on WinME and AGP 4x, with the same Gforce2 card.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8923 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Old celeron
I remember that WinXP needs 128 MB RAM, and one friend of mine has WinXP on Pentium II 300 and it´s working nicely (don´t remember his RAM amount, though). Anyways, I had Win98 before and I-War2 wasn´t running noticeably better. But, giving a second thought, it really may be my RAM cos my HDD is working quite hardly while playing. And SiSoft Sandra says that the CPU is almost as good as Pentium III 700. Try to defrag HDD and see if it makes any difference.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8926 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Old celeron
Your values are correct according to MS Marketing division.
My values are based more on experience/preformance testing (and dxdiag)

Anyhow, think about it, even if XP is only using 128 that leaves you with just 64 mb for the game (and other stuff that may be running in the background). The EOC minimum requirement for pre-XP OS's is 64 MB.

I don't think the GF2/MX400 or your CPU is the problem. A bit more Ram would probably do a lot for you.

You might be able to squeeze out a little bit more power if you disable the system restore function (set a restore point first).

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8989 by troj
Replied by troj on topic Old celeron
Err ,If you Disable System restore, I think it deletes all of your existing restore points anyway ...

More
20 years 2 months ago #9013 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Old celeron
OK, optimized Windows and defragged HDD. No big effect. Especially in Dante Inferno (rather Framerate Inferno), the last mission in ACT2. Think I´m going to get some more memory, 256 should be fine. BTW, is that possible to use AGP 4x after updating my BIOS? My old Chaintech only has AGP 2x and that´s no good.