Old celeron

More
20 years 1 month ago #9219 by toastrack
Replied by toastrack on topic Old celeron
I'm buying a new machine right now....well soon anyway and wanted to stay within the AMD school and go for top end 64bit CPU. However an old friend of mine works for a tech company and tells me not to touch them for at least 18 months, at least until the usual teething problems are ironed out and people really do start writing code that supports the hardware. He recommends going to the dark side and getting a P4. I've only had ONE intel driven PC before an old P 100. It still works, though its gathering dust at my parents these days. I found a 70Mhz Pentium machine at the bottom of the stairs to my apartment a few weeks ago, dusted it off and fired it up to see if it worked...and what do you know?....Its fine, really slow and onboard graphics though...ugly.
So the technology is fine and the hardware robust enough to get kicked about and left out in the snow :0)
Still, I would rather have AMD in the driving seat, I like to support the underdog.
With 2 DIM slots and 192MB RAM I'm guessing that you have 1x128MB and 1x64MB installed.

...that's torn it.

...that's torn it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9220 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Old celeron
Hmmm... 18 months... Think I can live this long with my old junk. Anyways, next few years are going to be busy: firstly the army (8 months, starting in this October, I think), then the university (if I pass the exams, that is). It is highly probable that I don´t have time for I-War and other thingies for some years.[:(]
About the memory: Yes, there is one 128MB PC133 and one 64 MB PC100. And the slower (older) one is the bottleneck.

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.