Anyone Thinking about making a New Game from this series ?

More
5 years 3 months ago #20746 by Dark
Thank you I appreciate the info - I really does help me.
It would be better for me to branch off this universe, so not to violate any copy-write material.

Story Driven Content is a Must - We have lost the Art of Story Telling in a very immersive environment.

Some mechanics in the game are universal in every space game, such as PowerPlants that have fusion reactors, Energy weapons ect.
I am unsure If I could use the Terminology from I-War - such as LDS and capsule jump drives.

While it's true that "Atari" is still publishing the game, it's NOT playable to any standard on today's PC's.

While I-War was Story Driven, you could go off and do your own thing at any time (Which is what I was aiming for).
Command Modules would be copy-write protected if made exactly the same, so many alterations will have to be done, which is fine on Artistic stand point (Interconnecting Sections of Space Craft wouldn't be copy-writed anywhere)
Since Atari haven't release this game's IP, there's not much I can do, except make a Spin off. By by Jefferson Clay , but it's not the end of the world, just another obstetrical to get around :)

I'll be happy to see IronDuke's Project complete :-)

As with Elite Dangerous, Refueling could be done around Stars (seems like a reasonable science, considering Fusion Drive Tech).
As for Multiplayer - it will also be Co-Op (similar to StarC in some aspects).

I will have to stay away from the I-War Aliens are they are very specific to I-War and new Aliens with different stories will have to be created, Unless we want to go Captain Harlock Style (No Aliens and Humanity is Doomed) - But I think we need some Aliens.
From what I can tell the "Badlands" were a made up star cluster (in space somewhere) to fit a story, where I-War was centered around Earth (SOL). Thankfully Atari doesn't own SOL or it's constellations - So I'll have to do some research.
Lots and Lots of Research!

Thanks again Chessking!
/me Thinking Cap On

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20747 by schmatzler

Chessking wrote: First, Atari owns the copyrights to the game... I believe several people have attempted to contact them regarding I-War 2, and never got a response.

This is especially sad, because Stephen Robertson was willing to give me the DX8 patch if Atari was okay with it.

Atari didn't care, though.

I really wanted to see the improved graphics on the planets. :(

BTW: Merry Christmas, everyone! :silly:

Space. The final frontier.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20748 by Chessking
@Dark

While it's true that "Atari" is still publishing the game, it's NOT playable to any standard on today's PC's.

Both of the I-War games still work on Windows 8.1. If you are referring to the graphics standards, I agree; I-War 2 is a bit outdated. Ironduke's remake will fix that though.

Regarding to Jefferson Clay: In my mind's version of I-War 3, Clay's AI was copied, and he is now a training instructor, commander advisor, or even the commander of many ships in the new Navy. Of course, if you are deviating from I-war 2's original story to make a look-a-like, it is fine if you let him go.

Regarding the fictional star systems: I think a few of the stars are actual stars (such as "Betelgeuse") but other than that, i believe they are fictitious.

One thing I would like to have is ships with front and rear weapons. I think I-War 2 messed up by not having any more ships with rear cannons... that is one of the things that made the game unique.

When you get started on this project, be sure to let us know... I would be glad to help if I can. (The main limitation for me is time right now).

@Schmatzler: glad to see you here too. Merry Christmas!

I don't know what IronDuke is up to lately... he was last active on Discord almost a month ago. He has been going through some major life changes that he claims will also allow him to spend more time on the remake. I hope everything is okay.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
5 years 3 months ago #20749 by IronDuke

Chessking wrote: I don't know what IronDuke is up to lately... he was last active on Discord almost a month ago. He has been going through some major life changes that he claims will also allow him to spend more time on the remake. I hope everything is okay.

Eh, just a few breakdowns. But *points to your sig* still working though, slowly and quietly. Thank goodness for the beautiful, relaxing galaxy of Elite Dangerous!

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)