Why is I-War so little known?

More
20 years 4 months ago #17856 by Demiurgo
Hello everybody

This is a question I have been making myself for a log time, since I-War.

Don't know in your countrys but in mine I-War its a completely unknown and forgotten Saga. I have lot of gamer-friends that spend lots of hours on computer games that do not known anything, even the name, of I-War. [:0]

I-War was the first game in my country to get a 10 [8D] in a really well known and considerated national press magazine, in fact, I known of its existence about that report.

When I played I-War some years ago I thought "This is one of the best games i'll ever play" and i'm still thinking that. It has great things to attract the people: georgeous graphics, really good argument... But, of course, it can offer little "playability" to novices in Simulation.

I'm asking you: which is the reason of I-War has so little followers?
Marketing? Playability? Complexity? You can search on Internet about I-War and, for example, Civilization, and the number of hits can'nt be compared.

Which is the "bad thing" of I-War?

PD: sorry of my english :D

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #7823 by Hot4Darmat
It's a really good question, and one that has plagued many of us fellow fans for some time. The answer is probably a combination of the things you listed. It may not have mattered how heavily it was marketed, the number of people that LOVE this type of game is simply not that great. The depth of writing, the attention to detail and all the other qualities this game has were not the kind of thing you can stick on a box, or a poster to help promote it. The breadth of the appeal of the genre has alot to with its limited commercial success.

Some of it may be the timing of its release in a market that was shifting more and more away from simulation games and away from space sims (both of those things are considered niche markets...and even more so if you add the PC factor in). The X-Wing and Wing Commander junkies would've been a little disappointed, probably (though I was one of those, too) because you were 'flying' a bigger ship, not a fighter.

Frankly, I'm stumped by its obscurity, too. I think everyone who plays games on a computer should own and play and love this game!

At least we can still sing its praises.

Independence War remains probably my favourite game ever. I have a legacy rig dedicated to playing it with the best graphics and configuration I could arrange (and I DO love the 3dfx stuff..I never saw until recently. It STILL looks good to me despite its age).

Stay tuned for an Independence War novel (set in the original game universe) to be released here soon.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #8814 by toastrack
I too have no idea why this is not known better. The Original I-War, Defiance and EoC are in all honesty the best games I have played. The story, the feel, the gameplay, the whole package has been blowing me away ever since I launched the original I-war all those years ago.
One thing we can be thankfull for though is that despite its limited appeal the community is fantastic. For a game with apparently so few followers the support, advice and mods available to players may well be second to none. There may not be many of us playing these three games, but we play them a lot and are willing to talk about it too.
Hooray for this forum and hooray for I-War fans everywhere.

...that's torn it.

...that's torn it.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8822 by They_HunGer
Maybe in my country, I think that im the only person who is playing EoC...
MAYBE Im the only PERSON in ASIA who is playing this game!!!!!!

P.S.: why isnt there any Asians playing OR even joining in this FORUM???!!

There's only One oF us GetTing out HeRe aNd it w0nt be mE

~C.C. Rocks~

More
20 years 2 months ago #8875 by Vladimir
I have the same feeling being the lone I-War lover in MY country... It hasn´t been even in the stores, well, at least in MY town it hasn´t. There are all kind of other stuff, including Doom, old MS Flight Simulators, Aliens versus Predator 1& 2 (not anymore, checked it out recently) etc, but I-War -- noo. Only if you give in a special order they´ll get it for you, probably. The hell, there are only TWO stereo amps in stores in my town, what can you expect from a space sim?

Later I found out that my classmate`s brother has problems with getting I-War, too. She asked me if I can get a copy from somewhere for him, which I couldn´t. Seems that piracy is the only option...[:(][:(][:(]

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

More
17 years 1 month ago #16434 by ATG
Replied by ATG on topic Why is I-War so little known?

Originally posted by They_HunGer

Maybe in my country, I think that im the only person who is playing EoC...
MAYBE Im the only PERSON in ASIA who is playing this game!!!!!!

P.S.: why isnt there any Asians playing OR even joining in this FORUM???!!

There's only One oF us GetTing out HeRe aNd it w0nt be mE

And probably the only who plays i-war in Greece

<font color="red">Greece=good country.</font id="red">

<font color="red">Greece=good country.</font id="red">