Why is I-War so little known?

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #16441 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Why is I-War so little known?
Having spoken to a number of my friends who are space simulation fans, they found I-War 2 (and I-War before it) to be nearly uncontrollable and far too difficult -- either you succeed without a scratch or you get blown up nearly instantly. Other sim games often have considerably more linear survivability: it takes up to twenty seconds to destroy an average fighter target, and when you have an enemy on your six, moving in for the kill, you can expect to survive for the same amount of time. In I-War, on the other hand, maneuvering becomes considerably more difficult because 1) all targets are moving much faster and strafing battles are common, and 2) it takes reverse acceleration to put yourself behind a vessel that is approaching you, contrary to typical expectation of swinging around for an intercept -- either you find an enemy on your six who can destroy you in less than three seconds, or you find yourself on an enemy's six and can destroy him in less than three seconds. It makes everything feel like you're in less control.

I imagine that a large proportion of the gamer community may have tried out I-War, but found it impossible to play, and immediately cast it off as being not "for" them.

Incidentally, ATG, why are you reviving all of these old, old, old threads?

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #16443 by ATG
Replied by ATG on topic Why is I-War so little known?
I have nothing better to do...

<font color="red">Greece=good country.</font id="red">

<font color="red">Greece=good country.</font id="red">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.