Mod Dev Version DL

More
19 years 10 months ago #10352 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Mod Dev Version DL

The only thing that can possibly go wrong is: Somehow, there was no flux.ini in your EOC directory for it to copy!
That can only happen if you (manually) or your game deleted the flux.ini file!

Sorry, I was wrong about the above, there is another possibility:

I went to a friend who has Win2K to follow this up and found the problem. It's really wierd!
Under certain circumstances Win2k, contrary to XP and Win98, intreprets the "copy" command as "xcopy".
(xcopy means overwrite an existing file)
When the Win2k intreprets copy as xcopy, DOS returns an error because it could not find a file to overwrite. Thus it simply ignores the copy command. Thats how your flux got deleted

Note: this is only with Win2k, so it won't effect anyone else with XP or Win98!

To fix this, I've added the environmental variable for the copy command to the batch file.
"set COPYCMD=/Y"
Now, if any file doesn't exist you will get an error and batch won't just continue on. (and screw things up for Win2K users)

I've also intentionally used "xcopy" now instead of "copy" (which doesn't effect XP DOS at all) to insure that you do get an error if something should go wrong wrong.

Second Chance, You should have the new batch in your mail by now.
I'm awfully sorry about the big mess, please accept my appologies.[:(]

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10360 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Mod Dev Version DL
Cool, we're halfway there. Now you just have to figure out why the contents of \backups\ships\ aren't getting deleted. Get that and I think we're done. [8D]

No appologies necessary MajorTom. I'm always willing to put up with a few minor game inconveniences for the rock-solid OS stability of NT. :) This is trivial, I knew we'd get it. I have many games that won't run at all on Win2k, but that's the price I pay for never having had a crash. [^]

Thanks for working it out.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10368 by MajorTom
Win2K is probably not moving the /backups folder because something is in the target folder (There shouldn't be anything there).

That was probably caused by win2k aborting the batch a couple of times without giving you an error message. Thats the most likely reason, because:
If it was something generic, it wouldn't move the maps and packages folder out of the backups folder (which it apparently does).

Check resource/sims/ships/multiplayer to see if there is a folder named multiplayer inside it.
if so, send me a screen shot of the contents of the following folders:
resource/sims/ships/multiplayer
(+ the contents of any folders in that folder)
StarWarsA1/backups
StarWarsA1/backups/ships

Then I can tell you what to change so you'll be back in shape again :D

I'm also sending you a new batch, that should prevent this from happening again. Check your mail in about 10 minutes from now.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10475 by MajorTom
Lol,

Sorry men, I goofed on the last dev version:

The bots don't show up.
(Roi had mentioned this in an email to me before he could join us here)

I forgot the change the bots .ini file names in the package.ini files, to the new file names, so they couldn't be created.

Thats's fixed now, and I'll have a new version for you to DL as soon as possible today.

If you want to play in the meantime suffix the file names in all the package files with "_swm" (without the quotation marks).
The package files are in StarwarsA1/multiplayer/packages.

Edit/ Just to be sure, the file names to suffix are those in the section in each of the package files, not the package file name itself /Edit

Sorry about that Roi [:(]

More
19 years 10 months ago #10481 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Mod Dev Version DL

Originally posted by MajorTom

Sorry about that Roi [:(]

np

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10491 by MajorTom
New Version is up: :D

Edit: see link below for newer Version /Edit

You will have to remove the old version first this time

DEACTIVATE your previous version of the mod first! Make sure the mod is really deactivated by checking the folder StarWarsA1/backups/multiplayer. There should only be an empty folder named ships in it, when the mod is deactivated.

(If there is anything in the backups folder except the empty ships folder don't update, and get back to me please.)

After you've checked, delete the whole contents of the StarWarsA1 folder and then extract the .zip to it.

Run the batch to activate the mod and you're all set!

The complete replacement is necessary due to some changes in the file structures, that we needed to make the batch file fully compatible with Win2k.

more details in the Change log thread