file Mod Dev Version DL

More
19 years 9 months ago #10301 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Mod Dev Version DL
New Version is up: :D

<font color="orange">Edit: Link removed, for the new DL please check below</font id="orange">
Most important:

DEACTIVATE the mod before you unzip the new version to your StarWarsA1 folder.
This is because the mp_flux.ini was changed, and if you're not deactivated your old one won't be replaced. If you do by accident update thuis deleting the new mp_flux, there is a backup of it in the folder player/mp_configs

<font color="red">Edit: I would even recomend your remove the older version you have and then replace it with the new version. If you choose to do this: deactivate the old mod version and remove it from your directory, then extract the .zip to your EOC directory as StarWarsA1. Why? See below !!</font id="red">

Lots of changes and improvements! [^] See the change log thread

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10314 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Mod Dev Version DL
I think we may be close to figuring out what's wrong with my mod installation.

The reason it stays permanently activated, even though it was successfully deactivated, is because it isn't deleting the INI files in \backups\ships\multiplayer\. After I deleted them, it went through the normal no-option install activation.

That was what was originally happening. But now when I deactivate, I also get this:

It was seeing this that made me realize the INI files weren't being deleted. Because it just said seven files. And I just assumed that those listed were them. I didn't notice the pathnames and .html extension. I just re-read your post about how the batchfile works and looked in the multiplayer folder above and said, "Hey, seven files! These must be them!"

Does this help at all?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10319 by MajorTom
Don't worry about the .html files they are just text files that are always copied because they are in the StraWars folder (there should be 7 of them now but that will change in the future).

The unexpected files error is because batch found a folder named SW_SP_mods is still there in your EOC directory. i.e the mod wasn't correctly deactivated.

When you delete the ships in backups\ships\multiplayer manually you'll also have to switch your mods folders around and remove any files present in the folders backups\maps and backups\packages.

The question is why isn't it moving the folder like it should?
Can't Win200 do a dos Move command?

when the mods is deactivated there should be only a folder named ships in backups and it should be empty! With no other files whatsoever in the backups folder

when the mod is activated there should be exactly 10 files in backups\ships\multiplayer (and 1 folder named utils, but only if you have resource.zip extracted to your game).
The folders map and packages will have 8 files each.
(There should be no more files there unless you added files to the resource folder yourself previously)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10327 by MajorTom
For All:
(Not specially for SC's Win 2K probelm)

Oops, I forgot to mention: the new version of the mod will also change your ship files so they have a new .ini name.

When you have extracted the zip with the mod deactivated.
Run the batch and then run it again immediatly thereafter and select deactivate. It will ask you if it should delete some files. confirm each query with yes. then run it again to activate it.
with further activation and deactivation the query should no longer appear.

<font color="red">Edit: If you don't want to mess with the above just remove the older version you have and then replace it with the new version like this:
deactivate the old mod version and remove it from your directory, then extract the .zip to your EOC directory as StarWarsA1.</font id="red">

If you have any problems with this post here.

I Edited the change log above so please look at it too.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10332 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Mod Dev Version DL
Ok, I'm writing this as I do a fresh install of StarWarsA1. Hopefully I'll say something that will make you go, "AH HA! That's where your problem is!":)

Ready? Hear we go.

1. Just unzipped the mod into C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos\StarWarsA1

2. Ran the XP batchfile. Maps, ships and packages were installed. Star Wars MP mod is now active.
--flux.ini replaced with mod version.
--Mods folder renamed to SW_MP_mods.
--New mods folder installed. Contains 3 mods.
--Folder C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos\StarWarsA1\backups\ships\multiplayer has 7 ship INI files in it.

3. Played mod. Music is awsome. :)

4. Ran XP batchfile again. Selected e to deactivate. Maps, ships and packages (StarWarsA1) were deactivated and my original files restored. The game is now in single play mode.
--Original flux.ini restored.
--New mods folder containing 3 mods removed.
--SW_MP_mods renamed back to mods, all original mods OK.
--Folder C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos\StarWarsA1\backups\ships\multiplayer still contains 7 ship INI files.

5. Ran SP game. Worked fine.

6. Ran XP batchfile again to reactivate SW mod.
--Star Wars mod is currently ACTIVATED. Selected e again to deactivate. Game is now in Single Play mode.

7. Ran SP game. No dice.
--flux.ini deleted, game can't start in any mode.

8. Ran XP batchfile again.
--Star Wars mod is currently ACTIVATED. Selected c to update and continue.
--SW version of flux.ini not reinstalled. Game still non-functional.
--mods folder renamed to mp_mods
--multiplayer folder still has 7 ship INI files.

9. Gave up and removed mod. Restored all original folders and files manually.
--Crossed fingers and hoped this helps troubleshooting. :D

My one suggestion is to make sure the flux.ini isn't deleted unless the batchfile is sure it has another copy. This way if someone gets stuck like me, they can at least still play the mod while they wait for tech support. :p

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10341 by MajorTom
The only thing I can think of is: your game deleted your flux.ini as you ended the game at 5.

This is why:

when you run the batch to ACTIVATE it does this:

copy flux.ini StarWarsA1\player\sp_configs\flux.ini
copy StarWarsA1\player\mp_configs\mp_flux.ini flux.ini

(i.e it copies the flux.ini in your game to the player/sp_configs folder first (as a backup)
then it copies the (mp)flux.ini thats in the mp_configs folder into your EOC directory thus replacing the one that is there)

When you DEACTIVATE it does this:

DEL StarWarsA1\player\mp_configs\mp_flux.ini
copy flux.ini StarWarsA1\player\mp_configs\mp_flux.ini
DEL flux.ini
copy StarWarsA1\player\sp_configs\flux.ini flux.ini
DEL StarWarsA1\player\sp_configs\flux.ini
echo ......flux Files switched back.........

i.e it delets the old (mp)flux.ini the player/mp_configs folder
and then copies the flux currently in your EOC directory to the player/mp_configs folder.
(thats so it will always be up to date of you changed your video or sound drivers ect.)
It then (first) puts a copy of the backed up (sp)flux into into your EOC directory thus overwriting the one there, and then deletes the copy of it in your player/sp_config (backup) folder.

The only thing that can possibly go wrong is: Somehow, there was no flux.ini in your EOC directory for it to copy!
That can only happen if you (manually) or your game deleted the flux.ini file!

To prevent this we can have the batch check to see if the flux.ini exists in the player/sp_configs folder and in the EOC directory before it deactivates the mod.
Then it will just abort and the mod would stay activated until you replace the flux.ini that got deleted somehow.