fun with .pso

More
18 years 4 months ago #14445 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Anyone who doesn't own LW (which, these days, is a large percentage) will very much appreciate your efforts. IIRC, Second Chance uses 3D Max. He'll be estatic. :D

@Jasper: I'll hop on it tonight and post my findings. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #14446 by Shane

The way I was using the Ordinal Strings was wrong, fixed now, .lwo's with multiple textures per surface have a better chance of working.

update in the usual place.

Afraid the new version does the same as the older one; crashes after asking for the textures.

Ran tests on a variety of objects, but got the same result each time.

More
18 years 4 months ago #14452 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic fun with .pso

Originally posted by Shane

The way I was using the Ordinal Strings was wrong, fixed now, .lwo's with multiple textures per surface have a better chance of working.

update in the usual place.

Afraid the new version does the same as the older one; crashes after asking for the textures.

Ran tests on a variety of objects, but got the same result each time.

Hmm.

Ah, looks like the index to CLIP chunks need to start at one, not zero.

New version uploaded.

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

---

More
18 years 4 months ago #14453 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic fun with .pso

Originally posted by davel

<SIGH>
Jasper, I'll just start by saying you suck! I don't mean it, you'll see why soon.
I started a maxscript in late November to import these files into 3DSMAX.
I've been decoding the .pso and .ftu files for the last 2 weeks.
I only came across this thread because I was googling .lws formats.

The .ftu format is documented in one of the PS mod tools zips, either the Graphics SDK, or the player ships textures download here:

www.i-war2.com/downloads_3.htm

Anyway, I've had success too! I've programmed a nice front end and I can read in ftus and verts from every file I've tested. This weekend I plan on implementing the normals, UVs, etc.
I think I put 20 hrs into this over the last week, it makes me sick that someone else is a step ahead.

I've come too far to quit now, plus I don't know jack about Lightwave. So I'll continue working on my script.
I'll post my script when it's done, then at least people will have access to the game assets from the 2 major 3D packages. I'll start watching this forum to see your progress.

Job well done!

My stuff is pretty well split up into a PSO reading bit and lwo and lwo2 format output bits.

The psotools.zip (see url in my sig) includes the python source, It may be worth while flicking through it if there are any bits your having problems with.

---

---

More
18 years 4 months ago #14457 by Shane
Congratulations Jasper. Seems to work fine. :)

I'm not sure why some of the textures didn't appear (primarily the right wing on this model), but will check it out in more detail tonight. These may be surfaces which Flux does something special with (rendered glow maps aren't visible in the modeler interface).

Good work!

Cheers! :)

More
18 years 4 months ago #14460 by davel
Replied by davel on topic fun with .pso
Thanks for the info Jasper, I found the texture file format under the Graphics SDK. Turns out I was missing a few bytes here and there. Explains why my byte order switched from RGB to GBR 2 mipmaps into the file. I'll have to make some minor changes. Not much progress, I haven't had much time on my hands lately. Hopefully this weekend I can work on it. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.