fun with .pso

More
18 years 3 months ago #14431 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Wow... that was fast! :)

Currently I've got both versions of LW stripped from my computer while I wrangle out some Sentinel driver issues. But as soon as I'm back up and running I'll test them out.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14438 by Shane
Hi Jasper.

Checked out the latest version. I'm sorry to report that it crashes Modeler when the file is opened. Here's a list of the events:

1.) Converted PT0_T.PSO (the puffin tug).
2.) Textures are already converted into .iff format.
3.) Open LW 7.5 and load object.
4.) The geometry of the model seems to open fine (by watching the status bar progression)
5.) Then LW asks for the location of the textures. When directed to the correct folder it will begin to load them, then run into a problem and the "Lightwave has encountered a problem and must close" window appears.

I've tried loading the object and then, when asked for texture location, telling LW not to worry about the texture files. It still crashes.

a.) CHECK: I've tested and can say with 100% certainty that the texture files are fine.

b.) THEORY: It seems reasonable that LW must have the surface attributes loaded before asking for the missing textures. (Otherwise it cannot know what files are missing.)

c.) THEORY TEST: built an object which employed UV maps. Then moved the textures. When I opened the object, LW (of course) asked for the location of the missing textures. I told it to ignore the textures. The object opens correctly (just minus the textures). When I inspected the surface attributes, all the UV information was there except the texture image; the UV coordinates are still loaded even when the program is told not to load the textures.

So, given the timing of the crash, I'd guess (in my layman's opinion) the problem is associated with applying the image to the UV mapping coordinates. But that's just a guess.

Sorry for the bad news. If there's anything else I can do to assist troubleshooting this, please let me know.

Cheers :)

More
18 years 3 months ago #14439 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic fun with .pso
Ok, thats not unexpected. testing lightwaves .lwo support with blender was never a good idea :)

What you can do is send me the object you created which employed UV maps, it must have more that one texture on at least one surface.

If you can do 3 surfaces:

just a colour map

colour + spec

colour + spec + lumi

It dosn't actually matter about which surface attribute the uvmap is modifiying, just that a surface has more than one map.

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

---

More
18 years 3 months ago #14440 by Shane
Sent! :D

More
18 years 3 months ago #14442 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic fun with .pso
The way I was using the Ordinal Strings was wrong, fixed now, .lwo's with multiple textures per surface have a better chance of working.

update in the usual place.

---

---

More
18 years 3 months ago #14444 by davel
Replied by davel on topic fun with .pso
<SIGH>
Jasper, I'll just start by saying you suck! I don't mean it, you'll see why soon.
I started a maxscript in late November to import these files into 3DSMAX.
I've been decoding the .pso and .ftu files for the last 2 weeks.
I only came across this thread because I was googling .lws formats.

Anyway, I've had success too! I've programmed a nice front end and I can read in ftus and verts from every file I've tested. This weekend I plan on implementing the normals, UVs, etc.
I think I put 20 hrs into this over the last week, it makes me sick that someone else is a step ahead.

I've come too far to quit now, plus I don't know jack about Lightwave. So I'll continue working on my script.
I'll post my script when it's done, then at least people will have access to the game assets from the 2 major 3D packages. I'll start watching this forum to see your progress.

Job well done!